Close

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Technologist
    Add bshadown on Thingiverse
    Honestly, if you want it for standart big prints with out details yeah Its a fine deal, otherwise Its kind a scare place to go my friend

I didn't mind putting up the 300 or so(S/H) I know I am not buying a printer, and I could have put that $ toward an existing "real" printer. Fun to try something new, see where it goes. Has more going for it than some projects that are all 3d renders and slick marketing. Thought I'd give it a shot. Also, I am looking for making larger, simpler designs as the base for costume design, kinda skeleton pieces, not meant to be the final surface.

I saw this article http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/0...bottom-part-4/
    I don't know how much truth is in that line of viability graph. But I do think they will lose money on this project.
    Also the guy is a bankruptcy lawyer. Maybe its a coincidence but they do have a nice way out if money runs out.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by 14thcarrot View Post
    Cool series of articles. I think that should be standard reading before anyone is allowed to back their first printer on KS or Indienogo.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Dimensional View Post
    Someone used this as a description... :

Pon·zi scheme
    ˈpänzē ˌskēm/
    noun

• a form of fraud in which belief in the success of a nonexistent enterprise is fostered by the payment of quick returns to the first investors from money invested by later investors.

Last edited by SystemsGuy; 08-21-2014 at 01:17 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    dunno about fraud - but there's way too much play in that movement video. It just kind of skids to a halt and bounces.

Huge print area - but with zero precision - so what ?

Engineer-in-Training
    He didn't even show the printer making the cube until after people started objecting to a lack of demonstration. And he seemed proud of a test cube! I doubt he used his design to make the original Yoda or the Dalek in the original video, if the cube is the print he decided to post first. I notice he has added a Yoda video even later. Which causes me to think that he's finally catching up to the impression that he gave in the first place.

So the machine probably wasn't originally building parts when he made the video, otherwise, he would have included a build in the original video. Even so, making a 3" wide part is a far cry from making a 15" wide part, so I doubt it can make such a big part. There's no point believing a cheapie beginner machine can make such a large part without big problems. It will take so much extra work getting it to be useful (glass build plate, an enclosure & heated bed) that it's better to start over.
    Last edited by JRDM; 08-11-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Your math is way off. He will not be assembling most of the units. At $299 they are kits. Even the pre-assembled units will likely be opted as kits to save on shipping on most of the units.

Who pays $25/hr to temporary assemblers? Engineers are not required for manual labor like this.

Taxes can be offset almost completely by deducting costs.

Not sure what your beef is with this project but sounds a bit fishy for someone "without a horse in the race" to go out of his way to ignore simple and obvious facts to malign someone else's work.

based on your own calculations with appropriate factors in place, this would not only be feasible but a successful model.

I agree that the acrylic plate needs to go and IF printing in abs a heated bed would be necessary. But this project does not include one at $299 so why incorporate it as an implied or necessary cost?

Also, the printer is supposed to be capable of printing in many other materials. PLA, as an example, would not require a heat bed or enclosure for that matter.

I don't know for certain if he will deliver or not but the numbers work out if you bother to look at the details.

Your post reeks of negative propaganda more than objective criticism.

If mine smells of a fanboy it's because I'm actually vested in it at $299 and want to see it succeed.

BTW, I am familiar with injection molding and the pieces are not impossible. They will require post processing but they are workable with very minor changes.
    Last edited by josephchun; 08-12-2014 at 12:52 PM.

I agree, no way this completes successfully.

As far as the heated bed comments go, the biggest i could find was 12x12. Finding one probably isn't the cobblebot creators biggest problem. cost and powering it will. It'll need a dedicated power supply just to power it.
    12" x 12" http://store.quintessentialuniversal...?id_product=29

I feel bad for those who invested.

I watched cobblebot progress but chose to back a craftbot that was on indiegogo, I have much more confidence on that and @$500 it doesn't break the bank. Also, there is a sound development cycle and a creator how responds intelligently to questions. After indiegogo backers get their machines, the price will rise too to 699 I believe.

I also agree there is no way the yoda was printed on a cobblebot. The first videos that appeared on the KS showing movement were terrible. The circular movement was terribly jerky. I am sad this has found it's way to indiegogo where more people will lose money waiting for a box of parts.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast