Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dual extruder printer for $2500?

As the title says, I am looking for a dual extruder printer with a budget of about $2500. I am fairly new to 3d printing and am a little lost. I just built a reprapguru prusa from a kit and want something better. Dual heads for printing water soluble support structures on printed objects. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thank you! -Jay

Staff Engineer
    I have a BCN3D Technologies Sigma 16, which is a couple versions behind the current crop of IDEX machines. Independent Dual Extruder printers are great for your reference to water soluble supports. I've been using mine with ABS on one side and HIPS on the other, but not dissolving it, as the disparate materials separate quite easily and leave clean surfaces.

Software today recognizes the cost of the support material and uses the stock material (PLA, ABS, etc.) up to the interface and then puts a few layers of support in place. Big money savings as a result.

The Sigma line supports mirroring and duplication, which uses both heads simultaneously to double the output if you don't require support.

One of the reviews I watched regarding the model line criticizes the bed heating and I recognize that it's somewhat uneven, but it hasn't caused me much trouble. The glass bed sits a millimeter above the heater and the air doesn't transfer heat as well as direct contact, which means it takes longer to heat up and also has a cold perimeter. I use Elmer's glue stick (purple) to prevent problems in that respect.

It's not an enclosed printer, but I slapped a sheet of acrylic over the front opening and get great ABS results. I think nylon would be challenging, but I've printed NinjaFlex with minimal problems and a good bit of stringing.

The new batch of printers they produce have all the updates including some rather quiet stepper drivers as well as "intelligent" fan control. I upgraded mine to the Bondtech extruders (now standard) and new stepper drivers and it's a night-and-day difference in quiet and performance.

One aspect I dislike greatly is that one cannot replace only a nozzle. This is just wrong, in my opinion. One must purchase an entire hot end assembly; heater, nozzle, heat break, heat sink if one wishes to change nozzle size. Unwarranted expense which means for me that I don't have the desire to implement such flexibility.

I used a Thingiverse mod and placed my extruders and spools outside on the back of the enclosure. It makes for easier loading and unloading but that's an option for later.

I paid just about US$2500 for my printer and I'm not sure if you will find something new in your price range. IDEX is definitely the way to go, if you can find one you can afford.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    failing that Hictop have an idex i3:
    https://www.hic3dprinter.com/product...32902377668652
    Cheap enough that if it needs modification - you've got plenty left in your budget so to do :-)

Failing that have a look at flashforge creator series range of dual extruder machines. not as easy to use as idex, but still effective for all that

I think the Sigma would be a little bit out of my price range unfortunately. I really do appreciate the thorough response though. I think I might take a good look at the Hictop IDEX. Thank you guys for the help.

oh yeah for some more dollars there's the T-rex: https://www.formbot3d.com/vivedino-t...ter-p0064.html
    pricewise kind of inbetween the hictop and the sigma.
    And it's HUGE !

This video is the hictop - but under a different brand name - gives some useful info - it's not small !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mft_yGyofmo
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-22-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Staff Engineer
    The hictop has direct feed, not bowden and that's a bonus, especially when the filament breaks. The Sigma has such a long filament path that a broken filament is a royal pain. Having moved the extruders to the outside has removed half the path, making that an improvement. Of course, with the Hictop being direct, it's not a factor.

The T-rex is a monster, isn't it?

There is broad range of dual-extrusion 3D printers for less than $2500.

Here are some of them:

BIBO 2 Touch Laser (it's a 2-in-1 solution)
    FlashForge Dreamer
    CreateBot Max (you can choose the extruder configuration)
    Monoprice Dual-extrusion
    QIDI Tech X-Pro
    Power-Spec 3D Pro

You can have a look at their specs and review on All3DP

Personally, for a higher price I would go for a Raise3D printer, the Pro 2 seems to be a reliable workhorse. According to many reviewers, Raise3D seems to use some of the best control touchscreens currently available on the market.

almost all the above list of machines are all virtually identical - they are all replicator pro clones.

Acid test: if the build volume is 223mmx150x150 - or really close, it's a replicator clone.

So two side by side direct extruders. As long as they are calibrated they work well.
    price should be between $500 - 800

The raise looks like a Lot of money for a fairly standard machine.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-29-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Yes, you're right. They all relies on the same structure. Also, their prices are in line with what you said ($500 - 800), except for the CreateBot Max, which sells at around $ 1,5k and features a build volume of 280 x 250 x 400 mm.

Raise3D printer are professional tools meant to functional prototyping and small-scale roduction. They deliver quality results most of the time and have a good build quality. ccording to most users, they are really convenient to use. Thus, I think they might be worth heir prices. The Pro 2 Plus has even been named the "best large-format 3D printer" of pring 2020 by All3DP. Obviously, Raise3D doesn't target hobbyists or tinkerers (considering the rices of their printers).

it's still a lot of money for a largeish - bit otherwise bog standard - 3d printer.
    Kind of like the ultimakers - good machines but seriously over priced.

A really interesting alternative to dual nozzle -and probably even better than idex is ANY printer and a palette mosaic 2 !
    https://www.mosaicmfg.com/products/palette-2
    the palette 2 pro currently runs at $699 - that converts any printer into a four filament multi material printer.
    I'd love to try one.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-01-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast