Close

Question How to stop filament blobs?

Hoping someone can tell me how to fix this? It has been printing fine up until now, but as of today it's started doing blobs of filament. Thin line -> blob -> thin line -> blob -> etc... It's not at start/stop of a layer, it's constant, like every 8mm or so. See attached image. Using Ender3.

Filament Blobs 800x450.jpg

The "consistency" of the inconsistent filament flow might point to extruder. Maybe a worn down toothed gear, spring tension is a bit too loose, or motor shaft is bent or something is causing it to not be aligned as it should be. If I had to guess, it seems like the problem would stem from non-constant filament feed rate. Maybe nozzle wear?

It's a new nozzle, it's only been there for about 2 weeks, and it hasn't been used a whole lot.

Update: I've just had a look inside the nozzle, it's clean. It's making a slight popping sound when the filament is coming out, I suppose comparable to how a hot glue gun or caulking gun would give a popping sound when being used.
    Last edited by Jace; 04-10-2020 at 07:23 AM.

The popping can sometimes be caused by the filament collecting moisture if it is not stored in a sealed package with a packet of desiccant. If this is the case, it could add to reduced print quality. The Inconsistent flow in a pattern like you are describing seems to be point to something with the extruder. Have you checked it out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDLYZEzneyUHere's a video I just put up that shows the filament coming out. This is a brand new PLA roll, straight out of the pack.I have also tried an extrusion calibration but it's already correctly set. The filament is coming out the nozzle at 0.8mm thickness (checked with calipers once it had cooled) but it's only a 0.4mm nozzle (??).Not sure what else to look for... any ideas? Could it potentially be caused by capricorn tubing?
    Last edited by Jace; 04-11-2020 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDLYZEzneyU/krogerfeedback Here's a video I just put up that shows the filament coming out. This is a brand new PLA roll, straight out of the pack.I have also tried an extrusion calibration but it's already correctly set. The filament is coming out the nozzle at 0.8mm thickness (checked with calipers once it had cooled) but it's only a 0.4mm nozzle (??).Not sure what else to look for... any ideas? Could it potentially be caused by capricorn tubing?
    I've just had a look inside the nozzle, it's clean. It's making a slight popping sound when the filament is coming out, I suppose comparable to how a hot glue gun or caulking gun would give a popping sound when being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDLYZEzneyUHere's a video I just put up that shows the filament coming out. This is a brand new PLA roll, straight out of the pack.I have also tried an extrusion calibration but it's already correctly set. The filament is coming out the nozzle at 0.8mm thickness (checked with calipers once it had cooled) but it's only a 0.4mm nozzle (??).Not sure what else to look for... any ideas? Could it potentially be caused by capricorn tubing?. .
    To counteract this, try adjusting your retraction settings to add a negative extra restart distance. For instance, if your retraction distance is 2.0mm, and you add an extra restart distance of -0.4mm, every time the extruder stops, it will retract 2.0mm of filament.