Close

Student

Trying to Choose a Printer. Cetus MK3 Standard Deluxe Edition vs Original Prusa Mini

Hello,Trying to pick out a small form factor printer for myself. The reason I'm choosing small is because I've never found myself designing parts that utilize the entire build surface, thus I feel it's wasted dollars when I print a 1" x 1" part on a 12" x 12" build plate. I've come to the conclusion that when searching for small, though high quality, printers the search always brings "Cheapest printers for $X!" which I'm not into. So far I've narrowed down my search to the Cetus MK3 Standard Deluxe Edition and the Original Prusa Mini. They're both very nice products and right around the same price point, right now the Cetus MK3 is having a $100 off sale bringing it to ~$450 dollars while the Prusa Mini is right around the same if you fully upgrade it, slightly less I believe if you don't get a spool of filament. Though the Cetus may be slightly more expensive... I wouldn't have to wait ~5 months to use it. I do like the idea that Cetus has created, leaving tons of availability to modding and after-market upgrades. The reason I've brought up Prusa is because they are a very professional company and I've used many Prusa printers in my 3D printing lifetime to enjoy them.So I'm torn! If anybody has any ideas on other printers or experience using either of the ones listed above, please reply!

Cetus Printer : https://shop.tiertime.com/product/cetus-3d-printer-mk3/
    Deluxe Edition comes with this pre-installed : https://shop.tiertime.com/product/ce...3-add-on-pack/
    Prusa Mini : https://www.prusa3d.com/original-prusa-mini/

I see NO strain relief where the cable attaches in that picture of the Cetus thing.. those wires will break in no time.. Just be patient and get the Prusa..

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Hmm, not so sure.
    The cetus is using linear rails AND a direct drive extruder as well as no 3d printed components.
    If you can get the deluxe model for similiar price to the prusa, I'd be inclined to go with the cetus.
    It's a more solidly built machine and linear rails have to be beter than belts and wheels.

Also you get a significantly taller build volume.
    But make sure it's the deluxe extended version and not the bog standard.

Mind you looking at amazon - it's almost twice the cost of the prusa mini and for £600 you can probably get a prusa mk3 anyway.
    Well no - the mk3 kit is £699.
    I think for the price difference I'd have to go fr the prusa mini.
    £600 should buy you awhole lot more printer than the cetus. But the engineering DOES look good on it.
    I've never had any wire wear out on any of my machines, so no real comment on that aspect. They look okay to me :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-14-2020 at 11:33 AM.