Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need suggestions for affordable 3D scanner

Hi guys, what would be your suggestions for a 3D scanner that I need. I need to be able to scan medium sized body parts like hands, feet, arms, etc. I don't want to spend a ton of money but I need something that is pretty good quality. What would you suggest?

Technologist
    Is detail and resolution important to you? If not you can get any of 3d system scanner right now as they are basically about the same resolution and stuff.
    But if detail and resolution is important then you need to look at industrial scanners.

With a good SLR camera it is possible to get amazing results with software like 123Catch, Agisoft, Acute3d, Photomodeler, GIGAmacro
    A Kinect with third party software like Skanect can make decent results too.
    3D Sense hand held scanner does really well and is quite affordable.
    As with anything, success depends on acquired skills
    Last edited by Papa Steve; 08-14-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    define 'affordable'.

When i asked the price of an 'affordable' hand held scanner at tct last year, I was told £20,000

It's all relative :-)

I think the Sense is the best affordable one out there today. You could always use the XBox Kinnect as well.

Affordable, I mean under $4,000. Hope that clarifies things

Staff Engineer
    Well, the Sense is $399, so that's pleasantly under your budget.

I've been using a Kinect for a while, though the quality is pretty lacking, at least with the laptop I have.

I've also had some success with Autodesk 123D Catch, which is a free app for the iPhone/Android. But you (and your model) have to have a boatload of patience to get a good scan. And the time it takes the scan to process into a model is... Well, let's just say I've never been able to see just how long it takes, since it has always taken long enough to go overnight.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I haven't heard anything good about the Sense.

Cheap - but is it any good ?

Staff Engineer
    From what I've seen it's decently good, you probably won't be doing professional-grade reverse-engineering with it, but the scans I've seen from it look quite a lot better than ones from Kinect-based setups. I haven't used it myself to see how fast it is (I'm on a pretty tight budget myself. If I had the money, I'd probably get one.)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I haven't heard anything good about the Sense.

Cheap - but is it any good ?
    bought it
    used it
    sold it

It's not precise enough to do any decent mechanical/construction work. Unless you have a beefed up PC or Mac, it's gonna be a pain to scan your model ( i tried to use Skanect).

Patiently waiting for the market to do its magic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast