Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ender 3 Not Extruding

I have a problem with my extruder and don't know where to turn. It has been sporadically stopping extruding partway through a print for a couple weeks. If I restarted the printer it would behave fine for a print or two and then do it again. Now it won't extrude at all. It's not a plugged nozzle, I can push filament through it fine. The printer has been upgraded with a SKR 1.3 board with TMC2208 stepper drivers. It has Marlin firmware. I have swapped the stepper driver and the motor still won't turn. I then plugged the motor into the X axis connector and it turns fine. The firmware hasn't changed for a few months. I don't know what to do next short of putting the original board back in it. I changed it in the first place so I could print with PETG so I really don't want to do that.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    I would check the alignment of the Extruder Gear. Could be catching of the extruder assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    I would check the alignment of the Extruder Gear. Could be catching of the extruder assembly.
    It's not that. I have it removed from the mount and the gear is off. Doesn't run when requested to.

A point about Marlin firmware .
    FYI - Marlin has a safety it the hot-end is not up to 170C it will not turn.

Code:
    #define PREVENT_COLD_EXTRUSION
    #define EXTRUDE_MINTEMP 170

A point about Marlin firmware .FYI - Marlin has a safety it the hot-end is not up to 170C it will not turn.
    Code:
    #define PREVENT_COLD_EXTRUSION#define EXTRUDE_MINTEMP 170
    I have the hot end heated up while I'm troubleshooting it.

Then I would suggest that the stepper motor cable could be intermittent an may need testing / replacing

Then I would suggest that the stepper motor cable could be intermittent an may need testing / replacing
    Yeah, I'm going to order a new cable and start from there. Thanks.

I'm pulling my hair out now. This problem has a mind of it's own and I can't pin it down to anything specific. I have swapped cables, motors and stepper drivers and it seems to work for a bit with each trial and then it goes back to not moving again. The last time it did it the motor spun for a revolution or 2 and then shuddered for a second and then stopped. I ordered a replacement motor and cable (came together) with the hopes that it would be one or the other and when I hooked them up it did the same thing. So now all I have left is to try updating and re-flashing the Marlin firmware and if that doesn't do it I guess I will have to replace the mainboard. This mainboard is only 4 months old. I don't know if they'll replace it for me or not.

I am very confused, why do you need to upgrade a main board to print PETG? There is virtually nothing different between printing PETG and PLA but maybe 20 degrees.. PETG prints best for me at 230C, PLA 210-215C Please explain why you had to upgrade the printer for it to do something so basic as heat the hot end to 230C.

Quote Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
    I am very confused, why do you need to upgrade a main board to print PETG? There is virtually nothing different between printing PETG and PLA but maybe 20 degrees.. PETG prints best for me at 230C, PLA 210-215C Please explain why you had to upgrade the printer for it to do something so basic as heat the hot end to 230C.
    Actually the main reason I upgraded the board was to quiet down the printer. It made a huge difference in that respect. I misspoke on the PETG part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast