Close

Aluminium frames vs. 3D printed frames

Hi, I am considering aluminum frames or 3D printed frames for the RC servo motors. Where can I get aluminum frames made? If I want to 3D print, what is the recommended thickness if I use PLA or ABS to print frames that are 3mm thick?

Staff Engineer
    If you're considering to create/commission a servo mounting bracket from aluminum, you'd have to find someone with a CNC router to get the best results. It's common to have laser cut plywood servo brackets as well, and possibly easier to find. Both of them may be located if you have a makerspace in your area. I have a CNC router under construction, but that means getting it assembled by Christmas will be a holiday miracle.

Your question about 3D printed brackets is confusion. You're asking how thick to print a 3 mm thick bracket?

If your question refers to layer thickness, that's an easy one. There are no complex vertical lines to a servo bracket, so you can print using 300 micron layers (0.3 mm) and expect good results with maximum print speed and strength.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well if it's for radio controlled servo motors, then 3d printed pla should be fine.
    3mm pla is also pretty stiff and strong.
    I usually go to 2mm for most things.

Thanks. What I found out is that if the screw hole is at the edge or corner of the bracket, sometimes it is easy for the hole to break. Any suggestion on how to avoid this issue?

Staff Engineer
    can you post a photo? One word is worth one one-thousandth of a picture.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by new3dprintinguser View Post
    Thanks. What I found out is that if the screw hole is at the edge or corner of the bracket, sometimes it is easy for the hole to break. Any suggestion on how to avoid this issue?
    either reinforce the corners/holes(make them slightly thicker), or don't put them so close to the edge :-)
    Or use smaller screws/bolts :-)