Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pla/pla+ question

Recently got my first 3d printer, Dremel 3d40, really like it, ofc the recommend to use only dremels pla, but I'm going to try other brands anyway.
    ???????from what I understand pla+, esilk pla etc, is just pla, with some additives, to change how strong it is, color, texture etc, now my question is, is it safe to use these other types of pla, in a printer that only prints in pla? Or should I expect more wear on the nozzle, clogging etc?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it's all fine.
    The only stuff that will definitely clog pretty much any printer is CHEAP woodfill filament.
    the decent stuff uses very fine fibres and is fine.
    The cheap stuff uses larger wood particles and best to just avoid it :-)

But a 3d printers are pretty simple. plastic gets heated up and goes through nozzle.
    So basically ANY filament is fine.
    The dremel is actually made by flashforge anyway, and they've never put a restriction on filament usage.

thanks for the reply) I figured it would be fine, but better to ask then to be sorry and have a mess to clean up, since it said "pla only"
    so far I love the printer, having lots of fun with it, would have been nice to be able to print with ie tpu for more flexible prints, but for now pla is fine

why can't you print with flexibles ?

You have a direct drive extruder - that's the most important thing. Most flexibles print under 240c - so no issue with hotend.
    They all also print best on unheated printbeds - well I always use an unheated bed anyway :-)

Just remember you have to go SLOOOOWWWW.

maximum 30mm/s and generally better to run at 20mm/s.
    Retractions around 1.2mm at 30mm/s

You have to do everything slowly as the filament deforms easily, changing the diameter and effectiing the feedrate.

But there is no actual reason for not using it.

hmm so I can.. honestly I just figured it had something to do with some sort of restrictions of the printer head and temperature what materials a printer can print, since I only had the printer a couple of days now, lots to learn :P
    thanks again for the info Il order some tpu right away then

try some samples: https://globalfsd.com/

nice site, Il order a few different types of filaments, since Im not stuck with printing with only pla, Im guessing anything is fine, as long as my printer cant print the recommended temps, and does not need a heated bed

that's a bugger that you don;t have a heated bed.
    For that kind of money, it's the very least you should expect.

The only things I print on unheated beds are flexibles.
    Having to use blue tape is a major step backwards.
    So many great print surfaces around now that grip when hot and release when cold.

yeah, I agree, the dremel 3D40 is a bit expensive considering it does not have a heated bed, and is "only" pla, but I think you do pay a premium for the ease of use, and the fact that it is enclosed, and for a first time printer ease of use is high on the list, compared to a full assembly kit type of printer
    but I did get the wanhao duplicator i3 plus first, since it whas cheaper, and got decent reviews, but, I started making my first print on it, and the right motor for the z axis died, the warranty covered it, but the company I bought it from didnt have any spare parts in stock, or another printer, and cause of corona, the expected it to take a month or more to fix/replace it, so thats when I got the dremel instead, more expencive, no heated bed, but good reviews, pretty much plug it in and ready to print, with the sort of auto leveling, so thats why I got the dremel

you know a nema 17 stepper motor is about $10 and a really easy fit ?

Also check the connector cables as stepper motors almost never die, but cables are often loose or damaged when fitted.
    The wanhao is a decent machine, and will print pretty much anything the dremel will and a fair amount of filaments the dremel won't :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast