Close

Student

Tronxy XY-2 Pro good for a newbie?

I know nothing about 3D printing, but I'm looking for my 1st 3d printer and I think I want the Tronxy XY-2 Pro.I've got some questions I hope someone can answer. Sorry is these questions seem dumb, but I'm new to this.Based on my limited research on this printer, it seems it's a slow printer, at least on paper, and it can't print in TPU, can that be changed? What's the limiting factor that would prevent someone from printing in TPU or some other material? It seems the extruder and bed temp seem high enough that it should be able to print in most anything. Is it worth the difference in cost to get the titan extruder? How about a direct drive extruder? BTW, is there a better printer at similar cost I should look at? I was thinking about the Ender 3 Pro, but being new, I really like the idea of having an auto leveling bed.Thanks!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    auto levelling on an I3 is kind of not that much use.
    You have to do the manual bed levelling. All the 'auto level' does is map irregularities in the bed's surface.
    And it's much simpler to just replace a non-flat print bed with a flat print bed.

Personally the tronxy xy looks like an ender 3 clone - so I wouldn't touch either with a long bargepole.

If you want a tronxy go for the x5sa pro.
    Had good reports on those.

But ANY ender model or clone thereof - I would not recommend to a new user, or an old one for that matter.
    Just a really crap design, and pretty much guarenteed to give you lots of problems.

Student
    Although I would rather have the x5sa pro, the pricing is basically double. Is the reason you're against it is because it doesn't have dual z-axis? After more research last night, I did find out that a Titan extruder is a direct drive extruder and can print TPU and other flexible materials, so it seems it's needed if one goes with the XY-2 Pro.

How about the Sovol SV01? It looks to have the dual Z-axis and a direct drive extruder and is setup for auto leveling... But even at 75% of the cost of the X5SA Pro, the X5SA Pro looks like it's a better unit for the price (best bang for the buck?).

BTW I'd rather have the X5SA Pro over the S1 or the XY-2 Pro, but that cost, when I've never even see a 3d printer, makes it hard to swallow. You think you could sell me on it over the others?

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    auto levelling on an I3 is kind of not that much use.
    You have to do the manual bed levelling. All the 'auto level' does is map irregularities in the bed's surface.
    And it's much simpler to just replace a non-flat print bed with a flat print bed.

Personally the tronxy xy looks like an ender 3 clone - so I wouldn't touch either with a long bargepole.

If you want a tronxy go for the x5sa pro.

Had good reports on those.

But ANY ender model or clone thereof - I would not recommend to a new user, or an old one for that matter.
    Just a really crap design, and pretty much guarenteed to give you lots of problems.
    I looked around and couldn't fine a better unit, at least based on features for the price, so I ordered the X5SA Pro.

The YT Reviews are really mixed on it, and one was really bad. All the reviews pointed to this not being a kit for beginners. It seems like it's truly a DIY kit. Kind of reminds me going to Heath Kit, as a kid, and buying stuff I had to put together. But I'm thinking this will be easier since I won't need to solder anything to a board.

Wish me luck!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    youtube reviews generally fall into 2 categories.
    1) people given the printer - don't care who you are (well maybe angus or thomas sandelerer are big enough to not give a crap) if someone is giving you free stuff you will largely be positive.
    Naomi Wu is a classic example, even when she clearly does not like a product, she'll generally be nice about it :-)

2) genuine reviews from people who actually bought a machine - but as these people are not big enough to get a free printer - who knows what their level of competency is. Or how reliable their review is.

Have to admit I no longer watch random youtube reviews of printers.

Now the sovol 01 has a lot going for it.
    Yeah the bed is still a single central rail mounting, but it's wider than most, so seems to be pretty stable.
    it does have direct drive and dual z's.
    Plus a young and very customer oriented company. Their facebook group is excellent.

All I can say on the x5sa pro is that those on the forum who have brought them are pleased and the actual spec for the latest model looks extremely good and seems to address all the issues people had with the previous model.