Close

Bad - Monoprice MP Select Mini V2 3D Printer

Hi all,

Ive got this printer from the university to finish my robotics project at home (due to the virus).
    I have tried to print out but it seems that at most cases the printer is not extruding properly. I have attached some photos of a few samples.
    I have tried hard to look at some example videos and manual instructions in order to fix this issue.
    I did tried to:
    Adjust the bed level and check with piece of paper, multiple times;
    Clean the nozzle and the filament pathway;
    Adjust the settings of the printer including: layer height, print speed, travel speed, infill density, retraction distance, retraction speed and the temperature of the nozzle/bed.

Any ideas what else can be causing this issue?
    Its almost like the filament is sliding on the bed.

In addition: the middle of the bed is slightly higher than all 4 corners. Perhaps what is the issue? If that`s the case, is there a way to solve it?

Many thanks!
    Arnold

Printer Link:
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21711
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Hello. I have a bunch of experience with both the MP mini v1 and v2. These are very reliable little machines that are limited only by their build volume. Well, ok, they have a lot of limiting factors about them. But still, they are typically good and reliable machines. For the uneven bed you will find a happy bed height where the filament extrudes and sticks to the bed everywhere it prints. This can take time. But once set you will not have to play with it again. From what i see in your pictures there is something off in the settings in whatever slicer software you are using. Do you have 1.75mm selected for the filament diameter? If your slicer is set to 3mm filament you might get similar problems as what you are getting. Also the nozzle diameter on your printer is 0.4mm. That setting needs to be correct in your slicer. And then there is a thing about layer heights on these printers. Because of the specific stepper and leadscrew used for z there are less steps per mm on Z than with most printers. What this means is that there are specific layer heights we should be using for these printers. You can find the layer heights you should be using right here: https://www.mpselectmini.com/optimal_layer

AutoWiz, thank you for your reply.

I have tried very patiently to adjust the bed to get the perfect nozzle height, but my efforts were in vain.
    I used a piece of paper, when adjusted the 4 corners to check the gap of most of the locations. I tried to make the gap, so that the paper slips but with some friction.

What I observed is that some parts of the printer seems higher than others (check the picture attached. Red is for higher, blue is for lower). Idk why but the middle of the bed is higher, thus tighter gap. And its actually printing fine in the middle, fails only in the corners.

Im using Ultimaker Cura 4.5 and its recommended settings for the specified printer:
    Layer height: 0.175mm
    Infill density: 22%
    Printing Speed 30mm/s (originally was 50mm/s) (also tried 20, 10)
    Line width: 0.35mm.
    And so on.. Not sure how to adjust, maybe the bed can be replaced? Although it doesn’t look bent.

P.S What do you mean by nozzle diameter in the slicer settings? (couldn`t find it in the search box)

Kind Regards,
    Arnold
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good day,
    I have managed to get some better results. I have calibrated my bed height, super close to the nozzle. It leaves marks on the bed sometimes, although it did resulted some better prints (check pictures).
    I hope this will not damage the bed significantly.
    There is one other problem. The support layer is strongly stuck to the main base of the print. Its difficult to remove it and it does not peel off as it normally does (the fault displayed in the same pictures).
    Any idea of what causes it?
    Many thanks!

IMG_20200327_154503.jpgIMG_20200327_154530.jpg

any advice for monoprice 2 slicer and other software?

just got a monoprice 2, what are the best beginner programs that will work with a monoprice, and mac OS? any advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Fooom View Post
    Im using Ultimaker Cura 4.5 and its recommended settings for the specified printer:Layer height: 0.175mmInfill density: 22%Printing Speed 30mm/s (originally was 50mm/s) (also tried 20, 10)Line width: 0.35mm. And so on.. Not sure how to adjust, maybe the bed can be replaced? Although it doesn’t look bent.P.S What do you mean by nozzle diameter in the slicer settings? (couldn`t find it in the search box)Kind Regards,Arnold
    I am pretty sure your line width is the nozzle diameter and it should be set to 0.4mm not 0.35mm but you can double check that with Monoprice if you like. I mean I guess if those be the recommended settings from the maker of the machine I will not argue hard specs. But to resolve your first layer height you need to fine tune the bed height until you have a first layer that sticks but releases after the print is done. If your bed is already level than make equal adjustments to each of the 4 corners. Like from where you are with the nozzle too close to the bed on the first layer but still working, you can turn the screw on each corner of the bed clockwise to tighten the screw and pull the bed down and away from the nozzle by 1/4 of a turn. Do each screw an exact amount so you don't loose your level. And re print your test item. and run each screw in 1/4 of a turn and re print your test item. and continue until your print just starts to not stick around sharp corners. Then run each screw out 1/8 of a turn until you are sticking well and pulling off the print bed after the print is done and the bed has cooled. This is tedious work but very rewarding when it is dialed in and working properly vs. the frustrations of destroyed build surfaces and broken prints that wont release.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    This is an old thread you are reviving but still there is this one more important piece of information about the MP select mini printers. The leadscrew, stepper driver, and motor combination driving Z means that you do not have the best resolution for commanding just any old layer height. And so for best results with the MP mini printers there are very specific layer heights we need to adhere to. Pick and print with one of these layer heights for the best results with your MP mini/ Mylan 200 printer: