Close

Software/Hardware for 3d printing

My friend and I have been trying to research the software we'll be using once we get our 3d printer. I'm interested in building miniatures and props for my D&D campaign, and my friend is interested in printing her own set of cosplay armor. Right now we're looking at this community's patron saint, the Original Prusa I3 MK2S.Question:If my friend is already adept at using a tablet, but so far hasn't even touched a 3d modeling program, would it be reasonable for her to get the Intuos 3D tablet/Zbrushcore package for building her own cosplay armor? Should I look into getting a modelling software other than Fusion 360 for modeling D&D minis? If so, would Zbrush be a good fit?I've been using a student version of Fusion 360 and learning a bit with that. However, I've been looking into some other possibilities. My friend found a Wacom Intuos 3D package with Zbrushcore today, and I fell to looking up reviews on this package. Unfortunately, aside from those posted by Wacom itself, there were only 2 other video reviews which didn't tell me what I wanted to know, and all of the other non-Wacom-affiliated reviews I could find started or contained a sentence to the effect of "Being a novice at 3d modeling..." I looked up zbrush and zbrushcore in the previous questions of this and a couple other 3d printing communities, and there seems to be a severe lack of any information about it.I sincerely appreciate any time taken to read the question and any answers given. If there is a better subreddit for this question, I would also appreciate being directed towards it. Happy printing! https://gbp.cnv.to/usd/7.99
    Last edited by giselegadot3; 03-22-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Hello. I drive a Corvette. It is a small 2 seater car that is perfectly balanced and weighs very little with a big powerful engine. My car moves fast. In and out of traffic. And I race it sometimes. Sometimes i wish i had a truck so i could put stuff in the bed for my career and work and do things with it that i could never do with my overpowered plastic hot wheels car. But you make a great point. How about if i could just move to a racecar that i can haul stuff in. And however wierd that might or might not sound to you it is a perfect analogy of what you are saying you want. For the cosplay armor you will want a large printer with few steps per MM of movement on all axes and a huge nozzle. Maybe a volcano hotend to heat that fast moving filament fast enough. But for your D&D figurines you will want a small form printer with as many steps per mm of movement as you can squeeze and the smallest nozzle you can find. These are two radically different ends of this industry you are claiming to want together and when you find the machine that will do them both you will have found a fraction of the quality you should expect for either piece. From your post, you are looking for 2 completely different machines. And learning how to use 3d design software today is rather simple with the maturity and sheer volume of tutorials available on youtube.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 03-19-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    so basically think a cheap resin printer for the models and a decent sized i3 (NOT creality) for the armour.

while a great printer the prusa is kind of in the middle so not large enough for armour (unless your friend is a tiny person) and while it will do quality for the figures you'll need to downsize to a 0.2-0.25 mm print nozzle.
    which as auto said in a round about way - won't be any good for the armour.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    so basically think a cheap resin printer for the models and a decent sized i3 (NOT creality) for the armour.

while a great printer the prusa is kind of in the middle so not large enough for armour (unless your friend is a tiny person) and while it will do quality for the figures you'll need to downsize to a 0.2-0.25 mm print nozzle.
    which as auto said in a round about way - won't be any good for the armour.

Oh yeah Autowhiz you want an australian Holden Ute: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Ute
    Both stupidly fast and practical :-)

Software wise - as long as it can output a SOLID stl file - use what you know :-)

sculptris is a probably a good one for your friend to use - as it's 'tactile'.
    for android look for 'sculpt+' apparently it's almost as good.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tPlus&hl=en_GB
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-20-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I do like Holdens. There is one lurking in the Superchargerforums. here: https://www.superchargerforums.com/t...install.10866/