Close

Student

First 3D printer for a grandson

Hello,I am looking for a 3D printer for my grandson. He is 13 years old and has been dreaming about a printer like that. What are grandparents for, right? I am not too tech-savvy and this subject in particular is giving me headache. I have eyed few models but I wonder if they are not too simple? Perhaps I should look for something more serious? I was musing:- FlashForge Finder- Tiertime Up Mini 2- LulzBot MiniI know my grandson will use it to create little figures. He collects tiny soldiers and characters from video games and would like to make them on his own.Will any of the models mentioned above be proper for a smart 13 year old?Thank youMaryOwner of The Boulevarde Shoe Store

get a Prusa mini. It is probably the most plug and play machine, has excellent support, comes with a tuned slicer, just an all around good buy and will provide the best outcome for the uninitiated user.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yep second that.

It does all depend how much you want to spend.
    13 year olds are pretty bright - I'd have killed for something like a 3d printer at that age !

But the prusa mini is a great place to start. Very good support, reasonable price, reasonable build volume, good software and prusa has one of the largest user groups on the planet.
    Plus should work out of the box with no modifications needed. Not many in the price range you can say that about :-)

The other one I'd look at would be a qidi x-maker: https://www.amazon.com/QIDI-Technolo...qid=1584710692
    Good company and a well specced machine. Not the largest print volume, but almost the same as the prusa.
    Has direct drive extruder and an enclosed print volume. Which just pip the prusa mini my book.
    Also comes with an actual book and built in camera for monitoring prints.

For a first printer can't think of anything else you'd want :-)

Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-20-2020 at 08:30 AM.