Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Print sizes?

Question Print sizes?

Hi,

I'm a backer of the Peachy Printer and I really like this idea. I'm slightly curious as to the size of prints that can be achieved by a Peachy?

Cheers.

Technician
    at present all the shown test objects are small, but in the initial kickstarter they mentioned that they wanted to print a full size canoe (I believe that a typical conoe is approx 16 feet(l) x 3 feet(w) x 3 feet(h))

There's no official "size".

For now, you only limited by the size of the container. If your going to big, might be the laser power... but that will be very big!

No test on big object have been done.

Peachy Printer Software Guru
    Correct, we don't have an official size right now. The major limiting factors are the maximum angle of deflection of the mirrors, the distance from the printer to the print area, and the desired resolution. Since the mirrors direct the laser through an arc, moving it further away from the print gives you a larger build area at the same amount of deflection, but this also means that movements are less precise (the light moves more for the same amount of input) and the spot size of the laser gets bigger. Theoretically there is no limit to how big you could build something; practically, it depends on your time and accuracy requirements. The prints we made this week were quite small compared to the distance from the printer, but we fully expect that to get better as we fix the memory in the mirrors, make the mirror itself more sensitive, and add the amplifier.

Thanks for your response James, really great to know that it would be possible. My main interest in this is the fact that i'm an Architecture student and i've been looking for a low cost 3D printing method and Peachy ticked all the boxes. I ask because when we create models we usually use a scale of 1:100 so to know that by adjusting the distance from the laser to the print area, the size increases. I really look forwards to experimenting with this printer!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCooper View Post
    Correct, we don't have an official size right now.
    Would I be able to extrude a mailbox with this? (USPS standard, say 8"x8"x22")

Edit: From Kingoddball: You can print in any size - But they have not disclosed what they have deemed to be the max size. Peachy mentioned they wanted to print a little boat.
    Last edited by Kingoddball; 12-08-2013 at 03:35 PM.

This does not "extrude". It has a laser interact with a fluid to make the prints.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesignerRants View Post

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by DesignerRants View Post
    it would be able to build a item up to the size of the build container (the lower container tha has the resin,object and object anchor) so to build an object 8" x 8" x 22" you would NEED a container OVER 8" x 8" x 22" in size and a LOT of time as the larger the area of the container the finer the layer height due to the z axis being one drop of water at a time

Quote Originally Posted by harpo99999 View Post
    it would be able to build a item up to the size of the build container (the lower container tha has the resin,object and object anchor) so to build an object 8" x 8" x 22" you would NEED a container OVER 8" x 8" x 22" in size and a LOT of time as the larger the area of the container the finer the layer height due to the z axis being one drop of water at a time
    Thanks, that was actually helpful, unlike the worthless commenter before you who didn't answer my question, yet took the time to point out that the Peach laser printer doesn't "Extrude". Hopefully you're more representative of this community than the nitpicking unhelpful Print Process Word Sheriff.

Anyway,
    1.) When you warn of taking a long time, what does that mean? 12 hours? 1 day? 3 days?
    2.) Is there a volume/time calculation I could figure for a cylindrical container, (10"InnerDiameter & ample height, figure its volume and then subtract the volume of my part, correct? And then take that volume and figure out how many drops would fill it?) Is a drop considered less than 1mL? How fast are the drip intervals, or is that completely adjustable?

-I've watched a couple videos on this printer and read the specs page of the website, but I still have questions.
    Last edited by DesignerRants; 12-07-2013 at 05:16 PM.

DesignerRants

It appears that DesignerRants takes GREAT offense in my saying that the Peachy does not "extrude". In his very THIRD post on 3D Print Board, he has reported me in "reported posts", part of the forum that most of you cannot access. He uses some VERY powerful words indeed, must be a scholar, maybe a Yale, or Harvard graduate.

His post reads " Worthless nerdy, doesn't advance the conversation, hopefully not the kind of asswipe you want on your forum" . I must say, very compelling. DesignerRants must be a very influential person, or perhaps just a whiner.

With this obvious education, I must refer to the original forums, the ones the early Greeks used, they were for discussion. DesignerRants is very disgusted, oh that's not the same as discussion.
    Carry on DesignerRants !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast