Close

Technologist

tinkercad or Fusion 360?

Hello I'm new to 3D printing, have no cad experience and here I am trying to design/print cell phone case for nephew. Of course he has a make/model that thingiverse (and few other sites) don't have a stl/scad file for. I've commented to a few to ask if theirs would fit but haven heard back yet. I know brand/model and dimensions so I thought I would trip on over to Tinkercad, that was a disaster. Maybe I thought it would be easier than it was. IS Fusion360 any easier?

Technologist
    If I supply a dimension of the phone, can anybody create a case and send me either *.scad or *.stl file?

I don't think you will find Fusion360 easier to use than TinkerCAD, unfortunately. You certainly could model a phone case in Fusion though. If you would like to be able to make your own widgets and not rely on other people to interpret what you need, Fusion 360 and Onshape should both have good tutorial videos to get you started on creating solid models. The basic gist of solid modeling with Fusion 360, Onshape, Solidworks, NX, Creo, etc. is that you make 2d sketches and then turn them into 3d solids. If you provide the phone model and some rough dimensions, I can try and help you out with something if you're interested.

Staff Engineer
    I agree that Fusion 360 isn't going to be easier than Tinkercad, which is probably the easiest program for 3D modeling, but also the least powerful.

I second JustMatt's suggestion that it's a good program to learn, however. The amount of tutorial information and videos could be overwhelming, but the skills you learn will take you a long way in 3D modeling.

If you're an OpenSCAD user, you should be able to build your model if you have the dimensions of the phone. For your current objective, it may be easier than learning F360 to accomplish that one task in the short term.

For long term, F360 is a good direction.

You'll need to supply more than "a dimension" of the phone. Length, width, height, protrusions, desired locations of openings would be valuable.

Technologist
    JustMatt First Thank You The phone is a ZTE QUEST 5 (Z3351S). Thingiverse has every model ZTE but the one I need. Dimensions are 2.687" X 5.437" X 1/4". If you cannot find a file for that exact phone, can you design one like the picture I sent? Only with NO cut outs or holes, just blank. Send me the file in *.STL or *.scad ? And when I finish printing it up, I can carefully cut/drill necessary holes for buttons. And how would I pay you for your work?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    openscad :-)