Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking I'm About to Buy a Form 1+

so after a month of research, getting samples and talking to representatives of different 3D printer companies I have decided on the form 1+. The sample I got from them was printed in its lowest resolution (100 microns) and was still totally smooth and wonderful~

I am getting a 3D printer to make figurines ranging from about 5 inches to just an inch or so and then making molds, so being able to print something small with a good amount of detail and minimal sanding/tweaking is what I am looking for. So before I use up all my savings to buy this printer, anyone have any info/warnings/suggestions?

Much appreciated, anything would help. Thanks - Sasha

Engineer
    It is a pricy machine. Have you looked into any of the other sla printers out there. Of course most are still a month to a few away from being released.

yeah, and none are much less expensive. I have seen some new ones that launched recently but I want to buy a printer that is a bit more established, where if I have a problem I can contact more people about it and I feel I would have an easier time getting a solution. and the release time is also an issue, I am starting a business and I would like to have the printer ASAP and it takes about 7 weeks for the form 1 to ship (tho I might be able to get it a bit quicker).

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    It is a pricy machine. Have you looked into any of the other sla printers out there. Of course most are still a month to a few away from being released.
    And some will be a month or two away from being released forever... Crowdsourcing (and often even preordering) is a gamble, I don't blame someone for going with one of the printers that has already survived the process and only has 7 weeks to ship.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it but just be aware that resin wont be your only expense involved in printing. I'm on my third Form 1 and I would like to "upgrade" to the F1+ but not willing to pay $750 for what I see as a repair and not an upgrade. That aside the resin vats PDMS layer needs replaced constantly so you will have to either keep buying new vats or replace the PDMS yourself with a solar panel encapsulating kit. The PreForm software has improved immensely but isn't quite perfect yet, but getting close. Support from Formlabs is painfully slow but usually acceptable. I have had a 50% print success rate at best, but its currently much much worse. It is amazing when it works but unfortunately that has not been often and so has cost me alot more time and money than I ever suspected or hoped. I dont know that there are any truly viable alternatives at this time though, probly a couple more years before the Form 1 sees any real competition.

Staff Engineer
    What's the main problem you've had with your Form 1(s) that causes your prints to fail?

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    What's the main problem you've had with your Form 1(s) that causes your prints to fail?
    My first printer's galvometers went bad during a firmware update, my next had a laser wear out.
    I havent figured out whats wrong currently and have been waiting a week at a time for replies from their support.
    But my prints all just fall apart near the end of the print and each time it messes up the resin tanks PDMS layer.

Staff Engineer
    I'm on my second Form1, and I'm having that same problem, where a print will be almost done, but then instead of adhering to the model, a new layer of cured resin will adhere to the bottom of the vat instead, and have to be scraped off. I'm wondering if the higher powered laser in the Form1+ will cure the layers better, so that this won't happen. So far, Tech Support hasn't come up with a good explanation of why this might be happening, but they told me it's a "very rare problem". So I guess we're both special...

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

I really don't think its that rare if at all. Others have posted about first the last bits of hollowed models failing and then eventually everything does and that's how it happened with me. I'm still waiting to hear back from frikn' support and I have already been very clear that I think the should provide the "upgrade" either free of charge or at cost at most! I've burnt through three liters of resin and four PDMS re-coatings with only a half dozen successful prints and a mountain of junk. They keep on telling me sorry but the words by themselves don't do squat. They replaced my first two failed machines without any hassle but they've dropped the ball badly this time so far and right on my foot! Waiting over a week at a time for replies is ridiculous! And I've sunk every penny I could scrape together trying to get this thing going I was hoping to be buying a second printer by now but no such luck.

What about the kudo titan 1 ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast