Close

Question Need help to choose my 1st 3D printer - Tronxy X5SA Pro or Creality CR-10 V2

Hello (3D) world!As the title reveals, I'd be grateful to get some tips and input before the purchase of my first 3D printer.After viewing a lot of specs, review videos etc. I've boiled it down to two printers, that I believe would fit my needs, and they areTronxy X5SA ProandCreality CR-10 V2Both of them have their pro's and con's, as I see it, but both seem to be priceworthy "all-round" large volume 3D printers.What do I seek in a 3D printer?It has to...# be able to print parts larger than 250 x 250 mm# have a heated bed# manage to print flexible material as well as ABS and nylon# be robust and sturdy# produce at least fairly good quality prints, although most of the parts will be of "spare part nature"Is there anyone out there that has experience from any, or maybe even both, of these printers? Which one would YOU choose, and why?I'm happy for all tips and ideas!Best regards,Björn

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    think I've already done this - but in case you're a different person - tronxy, every time :-)

Add 686 Shooter on Thingiverse
    I have the CR-10S Pro V2. Overall this is a great printer. Here's what I like about it.
    Amazing print quality. That's the only way to describe it, amazing.
    It is very easy to assemble, not a major task like some other printers.
    The stepper drivers are incredibly quiet.
    The only printed part is the part cooling duct. All the major parts are aluminum. Very little plastic on this machine.
    Touch screen. I hate the knob interface on most other printers. Touch screen is big, fast, and responsive.
    Very clean wiring. Not a rats nest of wires everywhere like some other printers. This has one ribbon cable running from the main body to the z axis, and the wires from the body to the print bed, and that's it. no other exposed wiring.
    Big build size - 300x300x400.
    Did I mention the amazing print quality?

There are a few dislikes too though. First is the print bed. While it is level, You will never have to worry about a print coming loose during printing. Prints stick so well it's hard to get them off when done. I have had one break before it came off. I will probably replace this with a Wham Bam flexible build plate down the line.
    Second I would recommend using the Tiny Machines firmware. While I was setting everything up the printer mashed the print nozzle into the bed for no apparent reason. I flashed the latest firmware from the Creality website and still had the same problem. I'm not sure if it was the firmware or something I did, but I downloaded and flashed the Tiny Machines firmware and no more issue. Dialing everything in from there was a breeze.
    Lastly are the fans. While the stepper drivers are very quiet, the fans are quite loud. It is not an issue if your not in the same room as your printer, but mine is in my home office so I'll probably look into some quieter fans as well.

Any printer is going to have pros and cons. Look at these, not just the brand name when making your choice. Overall I would not hesitate to recommend this printer.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    think I've already done this - but in case you're a different person - tronxy, every time :-)

The Tronxy X5SA Pro 500 caught my eye and I started looking at the line with great interest. I read all I could find and then came across this YouTube review....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiJg7f9ib4M

If you have watched it could you comment on his comments?
    It seems like just what I'm looking for but I set it aside when I saw this.
    Thanks
    G

The printers sell at a similar price (499$ the Creality - currently on sale at 449$ - and 429.99$ the Tronxy) and offer the same layer thickness (0.1-0.4mm). The Tronxy provides a slightly bigger volume (330x330x400mm) and auto-bed leveling, while the Creality features a semi-automatic bed leveling system. However, the latter has some room for do-it-yourself upgrades (including an extra space for installing a BL-Touch bed-leveling probe). Both printers feature a heated bed and maximum nozzle temperature of 260°C. The Tronxy can print with a broad range of filaments (incl. exotics ones). The CR-10 comes with an all-metal Bowden extruder which makes it suitable for standard materials. Anyway, it can be easily replaced by a direct drive extruder for printing with exotic filaments.

I own a Creality-3 Pro (open-source and upgradable) and I'm very satisfied with it. I've never owned a Tronxy, but according to many reviewers, the X5SA-Pro DIY kit usually comes with frequent issues related to the heated bed, broken Z mounts, outdated firmware, etc.

In short, I'd suggest to go for the Creality CR 10 V2.

Thank you for your posting. G