Close

Thread: Sell Filament?

Sell Filament?

Hello, the company I recently started at purchased a Markforged desktop printer last year, and the engineer at the time purchased Onyx FR filament, which is only compatible with their industrial printers. I noticed this last week when I went to reload the filament and found only Onyx FR, not the regular Onyx. I've asked customer service if we could exchange the spools, since the regular Onyx is cheaper anyway and our Onyx FR spools haven't left their packaging, but they said no. I can't seem to find any sort of platform to resell these two extra spools online. Is there any website you know of that is a good place to sell 3D filament? Thank you in advance

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    why isn't it compatible ?

ie: what's the difference between the standard onyx and the fr ?

Given the way markforge work - it could well be the same stuff, just marked up for people who buy the more expensive machines.

Other than that - ebay is your best bet for selling.

But personally, I'd be inclined to try it, as you will never get back what you actually paid for it.

So the fr stands for flame retardant.

Hmm, now me being cynical and having worked in a number of factories over the years - I'd be inclined to try and set fire to a normal strand of onyx.
    It's nylon and carbon fibre - neither of which are famous for their ability to power a bbq.

Could well be it's exactly the same stuff - just in a different package. Trust me - this is normal practice.

I once worked in a unit packing hand barrier cream. we made three grades. weak, normal and strong.
    All three were the same stuff, came out of the same vat, but put into different labelled dispensers and sold at different prices :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 02-18-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    why isn't it compatible ? ie: what's the difference between the standard onyx and the fr ? Given the way markforge work - it could well be the same stuff, just marked up for people who buy the more expensive machines.Other than that - ebay is your best bet for selling. But personally, I'd be inclined to try it, as you will never get back what you actually paid for it.
    The FR is flame retardant, though I don't know if that would make it incompatible with the desktop series.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I'd use it. Unless it needs an extrusion temperature your machine can't reach. There is no logical reason you can't use it.