Close

Flashforge Creator Pro cf Creator 3 V2

I am seeking assistance on general comparisons of the two printers mentioned, the FlashForge Creatr Pro and FF Creatr 3 V2. They are very different specification and price settings, but a key difference is the heated print bed. I have previously used Leapfrog Replicator 2x, and Makerbot Replicator 2x, both of which have dual extruders, and allowed me to learn a huge amount about the problems and issues involved in 3D printing. I still call myself an inexperienced but learning 3dprinter and struggle to refine settings despite having used those printers to take a concept to produce clean honey from stingless bees through the whole prototype stages, to the end of a working model that could be injection moulded. My main filament was T-glase by Taulman. There are many new filaments now for me to test with the next stage of this project.
    I learned that I needed to be able to use unusual and food-grade filaments, different model sizes, heated print bed, and control of heat around the model during printing.
    Sadly, I never got on top of the software with which I had to draw the more complex models, but have been fortunate to have a couple of people able to help me in that area. I am limited to producing simple models and the corresponding .stl files with Sketchup. I found early on that changing nozzle size meant Simplyfy3D became the slicer of choice with its great flexibility. I ended up printing on glass with both old printers, modifying to achieve that. Levelling a never-ending issue so a printer with good levelling ability is important. Both seem to have that.
    With an upgrade, I need to achieve a larger print area, automatic levelling dual print for support structures as a minimum. I will need soluble support structures for future planned projects.
    A key difference is the print bed. The Creatr Pro has glass with which I have some experience. The Creatr 3 V2 has the removable flexible spring steel, a new innovation. It looks interesting, but, I have no idea of how the concept works in practice.

Are there any members of this forum who have made this transition from glass printbed to flexible steel print bed who would be prepared to share their experience with the process please?

Any other comments about the two machines are of interest of course, as I am looking for all the actual real life experiences that I can find

Thanks for any replies
    Bob

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the creatr 3 v2 is an idex system - so for me that's a no brainer, I'd get that one. Also a very good size print volume for an enxlosed machine.

300c hotend and 120c plate - so will be able to handle polycarbonate, goth food safe and super strong and durable.

If you want a dual extruder and can afford an IDEX system - then there really isn''t any argument as far as I am concerned - you go IDEX.

Leveling wise it covers ALL the options. Manual levelling so you can make it as flat as you like. But also induction sensors for mesh levelling and height sensing.

As far as slicers go - I've never managed to get simplify3d to succesfully do dual extrusion. I actually use Flashforges flashprint for that on my dual extruder rep clone machine.
    Sooo much easier.
    Looks like they've gone for a propriatary code format anway, so you have to use flashprint - but, that really isn't an issue. It is a really good slicer.

You even have a temperature controlled build chamber, and that's not as common as you'd think. Even the leapfrog bolt (my favourite enclosed idex printer) just has heated, not thermostatically controlled build chamber.
    Got to say, the creator 3 v2 - while expensive, is a very decent looking piece of kit. And looking at the improvements and features - not to mention 300x250x200 build volume - it's a good buy.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 02-17-2020 at 05:57 AM.

I thank you for that quick and comprehensive reply, even added coverage of things of which I had not thought. I am trying to anticipate problems this time, hence these questions.

I mainly anticipate the dual extruders to be used to have a separate extruder for support, but having just watched some videos of the dual heads working independently to double work flow, I can see the benefits. Quite amazing. I was forced to used Simplify3D to get access to a larger nozzle size of 0.6mm to suit the T-glase. That was easy with my old Leapfrog, more challenging with the Makerbot with models 14cm square and highly detailed. The ability to produce two at once back then would have been great. I can see windows opening.

My concern is my lack of familiarity with that surface, compared to glass and hairspray.

My queries have already revealed the vast array of new filaments, it is a whole new world compared to my early days. I may need a filament cabinet as well.

Thanks again
    Bob

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the plate will have a pei coating.
    Things stick when hot and release when cold.
    Great stuff.

Plus you can always use an adhesive (hairspray, pva, magigoo, dimafix etc) if you want to.
    So don't consider that an issue.
    It might takea little practice to get used to it - but on the whole it really should improve things :-)
    Remember it's actually the hairspray you print on - not the glass. That's just there for a flat surface.

You can actually print two models at once on a standard replicator/repclone. It's a setting in the sailfish firmware.
    Obviously with fixed head extruders they both have to be small, but the option has always been there.

Idex is awesome :-)
    Just expensive, but for things like soluble supports - speeds the printing up no end.
    And adds a whole other set of possibilities.
    If it's in your budget - that is definitely the machine to go for.

Pretty sure flashprint has a setting for nozzle size, and looking at the extruders - they look to be using a standard nozzle type. so straight screw one out and screw new one in to change.

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/...rinter-164124/
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 02-17-2020 at 07:47 AM.