Close

Is 3d printing worth it?

Hi All,
    I am considering getting my first 3d printer and I am wondering if it is really worth it? Like is a roll of filament really gonna cost less than getting a new "thing"? I understand that it allows you to make custom objects but for general use (such as replacement parts and enclosures) is it worth the money?
    Also how much does it cost in the long run and how much is 1KG filament enough for?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    You can easily find answers to your questions about cost and volume by searching online.

3D printing is an excellent and worthwhile hobby if you're interested in experiencing the process from idea through modeling, prototyping, and revising, to physical object.

If all you want is to get a new knob for your car stereo (or whatever), and you don't already have the knowledge and equipment, you'll probably be better off paying for someone else to make it.

Engineer-in-Training
    It's only "worth it" for things that aren't readily available on the market. What 3d printing excels at is rapid prototyping.

About the only market that I've seen 3d printers (specifically resin printers) disrupt due to cost of the end product is table-top miniatures, and that's only because of ridiculously inflated prices for these miniatures in market.

Talking Worth it

3D printing is quicker than conventional manufacturing including injection molds and subtractive production. The explosion of 3D printing interests has brought easier to use software and hardware to consumers as more competition has entered the space. Traditional manufacturing methods can easily result in poor designs, and therefore poor quality prototypes. There’s no way seeing a product on the screen or virtually can compare to the actual feel of a prototype. 3D printing offers that benefit. Labor costs play a huge role in determining the amount of money to be spent in developing a prototype. Old methods of manufacturing rely on molds and cutting technologies to generate the desired shapes. Designing geometrically complex shapes can be hard and expensive with this technology. 3D printing takes on this challenge with ease and there’s not much the technology can’t do with the proper support material. And, When it comes to product manufacturing, a good designer knows that proper design verification is crucial before investing in an expensive molding tool. 3D printing technology enables product designers to verify product prototypes before starting out on substantial manufacturing investments that can sometimes be disastrous.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbrok5 View Post
    Hi All,
    I am considering getting my first 3d printer and I am wondering if it is really worth it?
    The words "if it is really worth it?"

This Hobby is not for everyone, It requires lots of Patience and learning.
    But without purchasing my 1st 3D Printer, would have never found as much knowledge and excitement in a single hobby.

OP, what printer did you pick up after all? And how is it? Does it really worth it? I want to buy a 3D printer next month. But I don't know if it's worth. And which one to choose. One of my friends here told me that I should buy one from impression-3d.com. It's a French manufacturer as I understood. Friend of mine showed me some videos about what this printer is capable of. Looks impressive. What printer did you buy? And were you satisfied with it?
    Last edited by WeEden; 02-21-2020 at 04:44 AM.

IS 3d PRINTING WORTH IT

Good Information.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    The Hictop 3DP12 Prusa i3 3D Printer I purchased has been discontinued and is no longer being sold.

Hictop has a parts list and assembly manual you could still make this 3D Printer and download there firmware.