Close

The noise issue of stepper motors used in 3D printer

I built up the Zaribo MK3 clone printer based SKR V1.3 motherboard of TMC2130 drivers.Early on , printer has worked silently.But now , stepper motor in z-axis get noise like the spacecraft sounds.I set up the current of TMC2130 between min and max.When setting min current , motors don't get noise but when ? motion step motor cable with my hand , motor doesn't move to neither left nor right.If being max current was ,it went from bad to worse.

It's caused by the stepper motors moving in discrete microsteps, and made worse by resonances in the printer mechanics. It needn't stop you from printing. Using drivers with higher microstepping will quieten it mcdvoice.

X and Y Stepper Motor Noise

you will get that sort of noise in all with low-microstepping drivers, it is due to moving discrete microsteps, and becomes even worse resonances in the printer mechanics. McDvoice

Quote Originally Posted by evapoppy005 View Post
    you will get that sort of noise in all with low-microstepping drivers, it is due to moving discrete microsteps, and becomes even worse resonances in the printer mechanics. McDvoice
    there must be some alternative

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    learn to like the noise :-)
    I think it sounds like r2d2 talking to himself :-)

Or adjust the voltage until the m,achine works and doesn't make any noise.

Holding the carriage is not a good idea. And under what circumstances is there going to the that kind of friction on the carriage movement ?
    You don't need that kind of torque.

I modeled and printed Ninjaflex isolators that go between the motor and frame and washers that go under the bolt heads.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are many ways to make the noise go away. Some work better than others. Just depends on how much you're willing to invest.

Post how noisy is it

beginner in 3d printing. not knowning how noisy a 3d printer can be under normal working conditions. came across this online(see attached) the othe day. any good?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've never heard of them, so no way to know if they are good or not.