Close

Ender 3 Mobo repacement....

Si I broke the USB connector on my Ender 3 and it was intermittently not running the extruder motor during prints so I decided to buy a cheap mobo to replace the factory one. I will detail what I have done in this thread.

Here is the mobo I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have already installed the mobo and I am getting ready to modify the firmware for my bltouch. Here are some pics while you wait for more:

Yes they included the rubber ducky:

Next to the factory mobo:

Installed:

Firmware has been a pain in the butt to get working but WOW is it super quiet now. You can barely hear the motors. I am going to bed. I will report back more later.

I had some issues getting my bltouch to work while compiling the new firmware. It is working now. I am currently working on getting it calibrated with simplify3d and printing a good first layer. It is nearly silent while printing. I am really impressed with how quiet it is.

OH and that installed pic is incorrect. There is an actual plug on the board for the bltouch so I didn't need that adapter and I had to switch the grd and 5v wires on the bltouch lead.

More info. If you switch to this mobo when you compile the firmware the instructions have you bring of the configuration.h and configuration_adv.h from the Marlin-2.0.x\config\examples\BigTreeTech\SKR Mini E3 1.2 folder and put them in the Marlin-2.0.x\Marlin folder and then edit them in the Visual Studio Code editor.

Well if you are using a bltouch you need to uncomment #define Z_SAFE_HOMING. You also need to comment out #define MESH_BED_LEVELING and uncomment #define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_BILINEAR. That will get the bed leveling working. #define GRID_MAX_POINTS_X and #define GRID_MAX_POINTS_Y are set to 5 which makes it probe 25 times which may be excessive and more time consuming but I am going to leave it at that for now. With my old motherboard it was set to 3x3. I may go to 4x4 if the extra time annoys me.