Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think I am leaning towards a Prusa i3 MK3S kit and building it myself.

Thoughts on this one? Can it be put into an enclosure and print ABS, etc. or am I better off with the
    QIDI X-Plus at a similar price point??

Staff Engineer
    I've printed ABS without an enclosure on a Prusa i3 MK2s but it was not a particularly large or troublesome print. I've seen 'net references to kits for enclosures indicating such an idea is valid.

The MK2 is tougher to build than the MK3, but it was easy. One of our members built an MK3 about a year ago and said it went together with minimal problems. He overtightened something and broke it and Prusa replaced it free.

The mesh bed leveling is fabulous and the print quality is top notch. The public library at which this Prusa resides has had zero problems beyond wearing out the PEI coating, not realizing one should locate models differently from print to print. The replacement PEI has lasted more than two years since.

I've been a big fan of Prusa printers since seeing the library printer and would have one for myself if not for the underused collection I have.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by freakaccident View Post
    My biggest issue with the Ender 3 is the non-stop maintenance and calibration. It will print fine for a few days and then you have to manually level the bed because it is waaaay off even though I use a bltouch, and adjust the z axis from scratch, and this and that, etc. It is pain.

Soooo if I were to look at printers in the $800 range with a similar print size as the Ender 3 what would you recommend?
    Think I would choose a Hictop CR10S5 500L to be my next 3D Printer.

Though I built a MPCNC that I am going to add three color 3D Printing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    Think I would choose a Hictop CR10S5 500L to be my next 3D Printer.

Though I built a MPCNC that I am going to add three color 3D Printing too.
    I'm staying way away from that hictop. Just a clone of a Creality cr10 which looks like a big ender 3. Blech.

Staff Engineer
    Yeah, it didn't inspire confidence when I saw the structure. Seems like it's flimsy for such a big structure. Prusa XL states it will be CoreXY architecture. My Emblaser 1 laser is based on that and I can see that it will make for a sturdy build and a lightweight fast operation.

Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
    Yeah, it didn't inspire confidence when I saw the structure. Seems like it's flimsy for such a big structure. Prusa XL states it will be CoreXY architecture. My Emblaser 1 laser is based on that and I can see that it will make for a sturdy build and a lightweight fast operation.
    I found someone online with ten Monoprice maker select plus printers for sale at $120 each. I thought about one to replace my ender for now but decided to just get a cheap $36 motherboard to fix it until I get there prusa or qidi.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    think we've already done that :-)

Quote Originally Posted by freakaccident View Post
    So I have an Ender 3 with bltouch and other mods. I feel that I am at my wits end with this printer. It is a constant pain in my butt. I bought Simplify3d thinking that maybe the better support features that it has would help but I can't get this ender to print well with simplify3d.

IF I buy a really good printer like a Qidi Tech X-Max is my experience and attitude towards this going to totally change or will that printer be just as much of a a hassle to setup and keep printing?
    I've just sent you a message about this. I went through very very similar issues with Bltouch and its likely your Gcode in slicer and/or Bltouch firmware settings. Although you may be able to buy better printers using the Ender 3 can be a really good learning experience and help you massively in the future. Depending on what your printing it may be exactly what you need with a little bit of tweaking and Im happy to try and help getting in going for you so in the future you can buy a better printer if you need it, but your money on the ender 3 isnt wasted!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    using the Ender 3 can be a really good learning experience and help you massively in the future.
    you know that might just be it's Only selling point :-)

The maker select range are good machines. weirdly monoprice and aldi have sold more than the company that actually makes it.
    And i can't remember who they are .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12