Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If I upgrade will things be easier?

So I have an Ender 3 with bltouch and other mods. I feel that I am at my wits end with this printer. It is a constant pain in my butt. I bought Simplify3d thinking that maybe the better support features that it has would help but I can't get this ender to print well with simplify3d.

IF I buy a really good printer like a Qidi Tech X-Max is my experience and attitude towards this going to totally change or will that printer be just as much of a a hassle to setup and keep printing?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yes your experience and attitude will definitely change :-)

Unfortunately - and I have no clue why - lots of people keep saying the ender 3 is a good buy.
    it is NOT !
    It's the most problematic 3d printer currently available. If you are not prepared or skilled enough to completely rebuild it, the chances are you are going to have problems.
    The design is awful, the component quality is poor and the manufacturers don't care.

qidi are one of the best manufacturers around - both for support and quality of build.

The x-max is also enclosed so problem filaments: abs, asa nylon, etc will all print better.
    I frequently recommend qidi machines - I will never recommend ender i3's.

Staff Engineer
    If you read the reviews on Amazon for this printer, there are some tips to avoid problems others have experienced and solved. Another good source would be to watch YouTube videos to see what experienced users say about the printer. You can compare their statements to your experience and see how things fit together in your mind as well as how things fit together in the printer.

One of our makerspace members is considering an Ender 3. I sent this link to him so he can read the opinion of our Super Moderator about the Ender 3!

So which printer would be best in the sub $1500 range overall? I want something easy that I don't have to constantly mess work with a large print area.

Staff Engineer
    I'm rather fond of the Prusa line of printers, but you indicate you need a large print area. It seems that you have found one in the Qidi X-max and that curious aardvark agrees with you. Check out as many YouTube reviews as you can, maybe some of the forums for other users. The Amazon reviews suggest a few problems, but also solutions. The forums will cover that in more detail.

One topic that often arises in our makerspace is cheap printers. One of the proponents of cheap printers likes to note that there are a lot of modifications on the internet for "printer model x" but that's also an indication that there's too many places to improve.

Hmm, $1500 is a very interesting price range.
    You are almost in the price bracket for an IDEX machine: Independant Dual Extruder.
    The holy grail of dual material extrusion.

for $1600 you can get a t-rex 2+ https://www.formbot3d.com/formbot-la...ize-p0018.html
    400x400x500mm print volume. It's an i3 design - but done properly and then some !

Formbot don't do flashy - they just do solid machines made with quality components.
    I honestly don't think we've ever had anyone on this forum with a problem with one - so I don't know how good their support is.

Now this is nothing against the x-max, just that if you stretched your budget a little, the trex would be the direction I - personally - would stretch it in :-)

@fred:
    One of our makerspace members is considering an Ender 3. I sent this link to him so he can read the opinion of our Super Moderator about the Ender 3!
    Just get him to do a forum search for ender 3 problems. If that doesn't convince him - nothing will. And yeah the prusa's are very good kit. Just a shame josef doesn't seem to believe anyone wants to print anything over 8 inches in size.
    But the new prusa mini is on the top of my list of machines for beginners.

Staff Engineer
    From October blog:

https://all3dp.com/4/prusa-announces...nter-prusa-xl/

However, that’s not all Prusa has in store. The company is also working on “Prusa XL” 3D printer which will have a whopping 400 x 400 x 400 mm build volume and will be based on CoreXY architecture. The company says it will have “a new geared extruder and an improved heatbed — among other things,” but did not elaborate further.

sounds interesting :-)

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by freakaccident View Post
    So I have an Ender 3 with bltouch and other mods. I feel that I am at my wits end with this printer. It is a constant pain in my butt. I bought Simplify3d thinking that maybe the better support features that it has would help but I can't get this ender to print well with simplify3d.

IF I buy a really good printer like a Qidi Tech X-Max is my experience and attitude towards this going to totally change or will that printer be just as much of a a hassle to setup and keep printing?
    With any 3D Printer you will learn that 3D Printing is not a simple as printing a document or picture from Microsoft Word.
    This is a innovative hobby that is going to require lots more knowledge and setup that just print a document.

All 3D Printer can 3D Print models some like the Ender 3 just require more precise calibrations.
    The Ender 3 has some eccentric nuts that have to be tightened correctly before it can function correctly.
    Too tight an the Y carriage jams and gets stuck, too loose and the carriage wobbles all over the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5HJgIrgGXc

As for the Slicer any slicer should be able to slice a model for 3D Printing with really good results.

This is after the slicer has been configured/setup for your 3D Printer.

My biggest issue with the Ender 3 is the non-stop maintenance and calibration. It will print fine for a few days and then you have to manually level the bed because it is waaaay off even though I use a bltouch, and adjust the z axis from scratch, and this and that, etc. It is pain.

Soooo if I were to look at printers in the $800 range with a similar print size as the Ender 3 what would you recommend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast