Close

Question Newb at 3D Printing with bed detachment(?)/ nozzle filament curling(?) issues

Hey there my new printing friends! I have an issue with my printer that I'm not sure how to fix or accurately diagnose. I'm hoping ya'll can help.
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34438 This is my printer. It's an MP10 Mini and is only about a month old. I've had quite a few successes in printing miniatures for my D&D game but lately I'm running into and issue with bed detachment and first layer adhesion.
    I looked up common problems, such as bed temp and raised it to 100C, which worked for quite a while, but the last couple of times i've attempted prints, they come out like the photo below and i have to abort before I start making the dreaded spaghetti monster. One odd thing is that the curling ALWAYS occurs on the front left of whatever print i'm doing. I carefully watched the first few layers and noticed that for some reason as my nozzle approaches me on the Y-axis on the first few layers, the PLA filament curls a bit under the nozzle before detaching and moving on. This doesn't appear to be an issue in later layers of the print however so I'm completely stumped. I also lowered fan speeds thinking that maybe the fan was aimed in such a way as to cool in that direction too much but it didn't help. Neither did the assisted bed leveling.

I also read that leaving filament in the printer between prints (overnight) is bad, and I did do this for a week or two before I learned it was a no-no. I'm hoping I didn't damage my extruder..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_1941.jpg

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    your bed is not level.
    The filament curling under is a sign that the nozzle is too close to the bed.

Either that or the gantry is not level.

basically that's it :-)

I've no clue how to level beyond the auto-leveling function in the system.

I've watched it curl before touching the plate at all though. Is it still too close?