Close

Question I wanted to get this model 3D printed for around $150 or less. Is that possible?

i'm somewhat new to 3d printing and I had a few questions about this.I have this 3d model that I made that I wanted to have printed. I wanted to be only 1 foot tall (which from what i see is pretty large for a 3d printed model) However, i did try going on a couple websites where I uploaded the model and it gave me the estimate price for how much it would cost to print it but from what i remember, it was Outrageously expensive, even though i just want it to be 1 foot tall.

My budget was around $150 dollars for just one model. Is it possible to have it 3d printed for that cheap? or is it always going to be expensive?I actually wanted to make multiple models of it, but what i planned on doing was having just 1 model 3d printed, then making a mold cast out of it and making more like it. (i'm still not quite sure how to do that yet either honestly.)

would it be better to just get my own 3d printer and print it myself? it's a pretty complex model but what are the limitations for 3d printing? i'm just confused about this. Please help! ?
    Last edited by 3DPrintingNerd95; 01-18-2020 at 04:13 PM.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Private message me, could possibly print this in 2 or 3 pieces with a type of tongue and groove that could be epoxied together to form a single piece.
    Top and Bottom with a single piece cape.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    also it would make sense to make a mould in 2 parts.
    one the cape and one the figure and/or pedastal.

Look online about how to make a silicon mould. Fairly simple, and once you've got one you can use a wide variety of material in the mould.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    also it would make sense to make a mould in 2 parts.
    one the cape and one the figure and/or pedastal.

Look online about how to make a silicon mould. Fairly simple, and once you've got one you can use a wide variety of material in the mould.
    yeah, that's what i was thinking too. but i was also thinking about making the statue without the cape too. it'd still be good enough. im trying to decide if it'd be better to just get a 3d printer and print it myself or have it printed.

everyone online keeps telling me that it'd be over $100 to have it printed, yet the 3d printers themselves are only a couple hundred dollars.

the problem is, my bedroom is pretty small and im not sure where/how i'd store the 3d printer it's self. unless i take it apart and put it back together whenever i use it again. just wouldn't want to risk it getting damaged.

I don't think anything is possible. It's really easier for you to buy a printer yourself and do it. If you do not succeed what you plan to assemble in 2 parts, it may make sense to break your model into more objects. Remember different designers, you can do something similar with the constituent parts.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Hi,

I agree but not everyone wants to be operating a 3D printer from their apartment - they're noisy, take up space (+proper storage of filament rolls) and cause some fumes. It's much better to have a local hub somewhere where you can do occasional prints, and only buy one if you'll be printing, say, over 50 models a year.

$150 is a bit low for this model, but I will do it for that amount excl. shipping.
    It will be printed it in two parts which will be securely welded together.

Also let me know which color you prefer or have any other requirements - I have a wide selection.

cheers