Close

Want to get into 3D printing, need advice on what is needed and safety precautions ?

So yeah title says it all, would like to get into 3D printing but am concerned that I do not have adequate space or facilities to safely operate one.

What I would like this 3D printer for and would mostly use it for is tabletop miniatures (as well as small bits and pieces like buttons and baubles for clothing and accessory items) so based on everything I have seen thus far it looks like I would be best off with a resin 3D printer, however I have also heard that the resins used in these printers can be quite toxic and these printers are best not kept in areas that are frequently used, problem is I don't really have an outdoor shed that I can really store this in, best I have is a small laundry bathroom area where I poop, shower and wash my clothes, not sure it really has the best ventilation and I have seen some people recommend a dust mask when using these resin printers, just wondering if 3D printing is still viable for somebody in my living arangements or should I focus on getting a bigger house first?

Also any other suggestions on safety precautions and things that are needed would be helpful as well.

Also advice on resins, are there resins that are safer to use that still provide excellent quality?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well you've done your homework - yes resin printers come with certain issues.
    I don't think your 'laundry' room is big enough as a resin machine really needs it's own work surface, you really don't want to get that stuff on anything.

However there are alternatoves - a decent fdm 3d printer with a 0.25 or 0.2mm nozzle can produce models almost as good as resin. But using pla there is none of the associated problems.

Have a look at the prusa mini or for less money the monoprice maker select mini v2: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Sel...9175750&sr=8-3

good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDW7g3JOqLA
    but DO NOT be tempted to get an ender 3.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well you've done your homework - yes resin printers come with certain issues. I don't think your 'laundry' room is big enough as a resin machine really needs it's own work surface, you really don't want to get that stuff on anything.However there are alternatoves - a decent fdm 3d printer with a 0.25 or 0.2mm nozzle can produce models almost as good as resin. But using pla there is none of the associated problems. Have a look at the prusa mini or for less money the monoprice maker select mini v2: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Sel...9175750&sr=8-3good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDW7g3JOqLAbut DO NOT be tempted to get an ender 3.
    IMO it's misleading to suggest that a consumer FDM printer can get "almost" as good results for miniatures as a resin printer.

The very best FDM prints are still a ways off quality-wise from resin print and it takes EXPERT level skill to dial in an FDM Printer to even get that far.

As for resin fumes, they aren't as bad as one might imagine, but you still need ventilation of some sort. Some people put them in their bathroom and use a bathroom fan. You can also exhaust it out a window with some simple ducting tube and a computer fan--that's what I do (although I put a hole through my wall instead of using a window).

Not sure I would want to use a FDM printer for miniatures but I guess a FDM printer would still be alright for larger terrain pieces and things that don't quite have as much detail, would you recommend one as a sort of entry level stepping stone for somebody who does not quite have the necessary prep for a resin printer but still wants to get into 3D printing? Are there still safety precautions and fumes one needs to worry about when handling the filament? Also does any one have any experience with the eco friendly resins for resin 3D printers? Are these safer to use and still get good print quality?

For better comfort, no matter what printer you choose, it is better to have a separate room or garage for comfortable work. It may take the printer a day or so to work and in any case, it will make little noise or smell, you should take this into account.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    I advise SLA printers only for professional use. Essentially you need a lab for it. You get skin and respiratory irritant fumes. You will be cleaning everything around you with alcohol wipes at the end of the day. Plus the material is an ecological disaster and can as far as I know not be recycled or upcycled. But sometimes, such as for jewelry, you do need the quality. SLA quality is way out of FDM's league.For starters I recommend the Snapmaker. It's just a perfect little machine.

There are various safety precautions for 3D Printing but the most important is : Always unplug the power supply from your power outlet before doing any maintenance on your machine.