Close

Best LCD/SD add-on for RAMPS 1.4?

I tried asking this over at RepRap.org but was ignored, so I'll try again here...

I've been looking at LCD displays on eBays and am kinda lost. Too many options, too many slight variations. Can I get some advice on what I should be looking for, please? Are there any specific versions that are better, or should be avoided? What about Form Factor (Some are taller and have the control knob on the bottom, some are wider with the knob on the side)?

The bigger issue is to make sure your electronics can support the LCD Display. If you have Marlin firmware, you have a number of options. But the problem is you need to make sure your electronics brings out the required pins to communicate with the LCD Display. Probably, you should be looking for an LCD Vender that explicitly states their panel is compatible with your electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    The bigger issue is to make sure your electronics can support the LCD Display. If you have Marlin firmware, you have a number of options. But the problem is you need to make sure your electronics brings out the required pins to communicate with the LCD Display. Probably, you should be looking for an LCD Vender that explicitly states their panel is compatible with your electronics.
    So all RAMPS aren't created equal?

It is not only the hardware but the firmware that matters. I was using a XL LCD I bought from Matt over at printedsolid.com on my Prusa running Ramps 1.4 and Marlin for a couple of months but it did not really do very much more than let me print untethered from the SD Card (which is why I wanted it anyway). Then I took it off and put it on my Kossel Mini which is running a Ramps 1.4 with Repetier and I can control a lot more things now!

I like using Matt because I can call him and ask him what works and what does not, and he has a good selection of Filaments that I have been using with no problems at all.

Engineer
    i just bought some stuff from him as well. good guy

Quote Originally Posted by SimianSteam View Post
    So all RAMPS aren't created equal?
    Ah... Its the opposite. Different LCD Panels require different signals. There is some standardization, but here is an example: Different LCD Panels have more or less switches, buttons or spinners. These 'input' devices get brought out to different signals. You will want to make sure your not using the signals they need for full operation.
    Last edited by Roxy; 07-04-2014 at 02:24 PM.

I'm going to be using Marlin firmware, so that's not a problem. As for the signals they need for operation, how do I find that out? currently it's pretty basic, with 5 steppers going into four ports (Z motors are combined on the i3 Rework), 3 mechanical endstops, 2 thermistors (bed and hot end) and a fan. I am planning on adding auto-leveling eventually.

I can see that the build itself was just the beginning of the learning process. LoL.

Probably, you can look at the websites for the different LCD Panels and I would expect them to clearly state what they need. Also, it is more cryptic but it will be spelled out in the actual firmware for the LCD Panel. I don't have an LCD Panel so I'm not an actual authority on the subject.