Close

About to buy a printer.

Hi, I have been reading through these forums as well as other sights. Trying to learn as much as I can about 3d printing before buying a unit. I have decided to get a 3d printer from Tenlog there TL-3D link below. https://www.tenlog3d.com/tenlog-tl-d...s-pla_p11.htmlI have talked to them by email and Skype and they have been helpful. I wanted to go with one of their larger TL-5D or the 6D, but shipping was $300. It is free on the TL-3D. I know I need to also buy a few things. But I am looking for a little help. I know I want to get a print bed and not print directly on the aluminum bed they offer. I have seen a few that are recommended, but I am looking for help in picking out the best bed. I want to be able to print in a few different materials, and it would be nice if the same bed worked for all of them. Nothing too exotic, maybe nylon, ABS, PLA, PVA, Wood ect... I know enclosed is better for ABS and Nylon, not sure how much I will print either, but I want the option. I would rather not mess with glue sticks or painters tape. I would rather spend the money and not have the prep work and time when I print.I will also want to buy a laser for laser cutting. is there any recommendations on that?I am sure I am missing some things, so If there are other things I should be buying to start off please let me know. Thanks!
    Last edited by ScotnEmily; 01-08-2020 at 07:55 AM. Reason: trying to fix formatting

I am also thinking about either making an enclosure, possibly using something like 80/20 fro a frame, or just buying one. There is a pretty neat one on thingiverse just wish I knew the cost of material before buying the plan. I can make my own plans and 3d models.

Buying a 3D printer seems to be tricky for most - mainly inexperienced - people (there are several threads related, even one that I wrote myself). Indeed, when buying my first 3D printer - and even recently when needed to move to a large-bed device - I had a lot of doubts myself.

Choosing a reliable brand is never easy. Your experience is not uncommon. Before purchasing is always better searching and asking around (3D printing forums are a great place where you might get relevant feedback from 3D printing experts). There are too many manufacturers out there!

By looking around in the forum (searching for guide), I found this 3D printing buying guide: https://3dprint.com/251787/3d-printi...ng-guide-2019/

It suggests a bunch of 3D printers to buy sorted by price range. Whether you are seeking low-cost desktop 3D printers, midrange printer professional ones, there you can find some inspiration. The article has been written in 2019, so it might not include brand new printers, but it lists reliable devices.

Obviously, by searching for suggestions about buying a printer you'll get lots of results. There are lots of guides that include a list of resellers from where to buy hassle-free (All3DP always provide this kind of suggestion at the bottom of their reviews). They all assume that you know the basic specifications of a 3D printer. On the other side, this guide includes some useful explanations that will let you better understand the specs of an FDM printer and something about its components (kinematics, sizes, accuracy etc.).

However, we should all learn something about G3D systems after your experience.

First printer?

If it is you first printer, I would buy a basic one.

You will have to deal with maintenance, replacements and clogs, so it will be better to face a simple machine rather than a hard one.I've checked the one you link.

What kind of pieces are you going to print? Keep in mind that as it has two extruders, the printing area may be a little smaller than the bed.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    cheap for an idex.
    Looks like there are a few companies either making the same machine at the moment - or one company making it for sale under different brands.

Looks like a good chcooce and as good a first machine as any around and better than most :-)

Print surface you are looking for is called PEI - cheap, exceptionally good and very versatile.
    I would also recommend to get some Magigoo. If something doesn't adhere to the pei well - a quick wipe with the magigoo will fix it every time :-)