Close

Threaded View

Printing a single layer in parallel lines without walls?

I am trying to figure out how to either design a single layer (ultimately a 5cm by 5cm box) that is 5cm wide, 5 cm long, and 0.2mm thick. The layers will be 0.2mm x 0.2mm. The part I am having problems with is that I want each layer to be printed in the x or y axis direction. No walls or infill, simply a single layer of 0.2mm x 0.2mm layers.

I have tried designing this in solidworks, but when I process it in my slicer (Qidi Print) it does not register the structure, even though I can import it. I know my printer (Qidi TECH X-Plus) can print layers close to this size, so that should not be an issue. I am not sure if the solution is in my solidworks design or in the setting of my slicer software. I have tried designing the layer in solidworks as individual boxes touching each other, as well as 0.2mm x 0.2mm boxes spaced 0.05mm apart to see if they would register as separate structure in my slicer. Neither worked.

I did come across a paper that might have described this process as line-based halftoning, but I am not 100% sure they are referring to the same thing (Hatching for 3D prints: line-based halftoning for dual extrusion fused deposition modeling).

The image is just an example of the lines that I would want printed without any walls perpendicular to them.

If anyone can provide any assistance it would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images