Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3D Printing Newb with Questions

Hey all,
    I work for a dental lab and we just got our first 3D printer to print crown and bridge models. The printer we bought is the Phrozen Shuffle and the resin we're using is Zortrax Inkspire Dental Beige, software is NanoDLP, (came with the printer.)

So My questions ...
    1.) I have no idea how to adjust the settings in NanoDLP, like the shrink rate or cure times.
    2.) I downloaded a small Tie Fighter file to do a test print and I got to layer 543 out of 1400 and there was nothing on the build plate, it was empty, just whatever wet resin was on there from being in the vat. What would cause nothing to build and how do I fix that.

Any and all help is geatly appreciated!

Staff Engineer
    I'm not familiar with that particular printer, but there's bound to be an option to test the LCD panel for operational status. The web page shows that the product line is based on LCD masking. You can remove the print bed and vat and send a job file to the printer if there is no automated test option.

You should see the LCD illuminate from below with the UV LED array (with the cover in place) which will tell you that the active portion of the exposure system is or is not working.

Based on your description, it's probably going to remain dark and require appropriate troubleshooting from that reference.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah definitely sounds like the screen isn't working.

The LCD screen does illuminate and was when it was 'printing'. Apparently the resin that I was using, (Zortrax), only works with Zortrax printers. So I'm going to try a new type of resin and see if it changes anything.

Staff Engineer
    It sounds as though there's a frequency mismatch between your printer and the resin.

yep bear in mind that there re two man types of popular resin.
    resin cured by daylight and uv cured.

so good idea to find out which your machine uses.

Daylight resin can be cured with uv but uv resin doesn't do much in normal light.

Staff Engineer
    I have to wonder if there's yet another factor for resins. I have a FSL Pegasus Touch still in the box. It uses only their product unless one pays an exorbitant amount for a wider license to use other resins. What can be done to a printer and to a resin to make the liquid itself proprietary?

not much - a chip on a propriatary container would be the only way I can think of.

unless it uses a laser of peculiar wavelength and a resin specifically designed to only solidify at that wavelength.

other than that it's just a con :-)

Staff Engineer
    That certainly is the way of some of the locked down printers, but the Pegasus uses ordinary pour-from-the-bottle goop, but it has to be theirs. Some nonsense about voiding warranty, terminating support, but that's senseless. I've not spent the bucks for the broad spectrum resin option and don't know the back-door secrets involved. My Pegasus remains in the box it arrived in from the Kickstarter years ago. A shame really.

Engineer-in-Training
    I suggest using chitubox software instead of what came with it. There are lots of vids on youtube which will help you master chitubox.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast