Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the point is that if an upgrade doesn't significantly improve what the machine already does, why bother ?

I'm all for upgrades that make a real and tangible difference, but if the jobs the machine already does and will continue to do - aren't going to be effected - then upgrading is pointless.

Take the current bollocks surrounding microsoft stopping 'support' for windows 7 and urging people to 'upgrade' to winodws 10 before there computer explodes killing everyone within a 10 mile radious. (I'm paraphrasing there).

If you have a windows 7 machine - it will continue working just fine for - at least - the next 5 years (actually took over 10 years for windows xp to become genuinely obsolete after loss of 'support' - happened last year 2019).

If you buy or make a new machine - yeah stick 10 on it. But any existing machine with 7 is absolutely fine for the forseeable future and will function better with 7 than 10 anyway.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 01-28-2020 at 06:30 AM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    So the problem with windows stopping support for windows 7 is that there will be no new malicious software removal tools and updates of the security nature. This is an absolutely huge deal because there are new back doors discovered all the time to get the bad folk inside of your computer. The majority of updates we get is for just this. And that is stopping. Which means you now run the very real risk of having malware on your win7 machine that other antivirus software might not detect. And windows 7 sure won't. Who cares about drivers for new things coming out, right? If you are buying new parts for your PC odds are you are running windows 10 because you seem to not have so much of a problem investing in your machine. I upgraded to windows 10 with all of my machines early on because it was free.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12