Close

Nozzle size & Layer Height

Does a smaller nozzle size and layer height give greater structural integrity?

I understand how these settings will give better visual quality but will it make the part physically stronger?

No, the more plastic and less adhesion points make a stronger part. So for larger items bigger nozzles make stronger parts. I normally use a .3 layer with a .5 nozzle so visually the product still looks nice. With the .75 nozzle I have been using .5 mm layers as I am making larger parts when using this nozzle. You also must have proper extrusion and starting height so the layers adhere properly and your part is also the proper size. I use a 2 walled squares of a height that is evenly dividable by the layer height and wall thickness equal to the extrusion width to verify starting height and as a rough check or extrusion multiplier. The height of the wall should be the same as the model height +0-.02mm the thickness should be that of 2 extrusion width +0-.03mm. Then a solid square of a height equal to 2 layer heights to check extrusion multiple. This square let you see that all threads are adhere to each other with no gap between threads and the thickness should measure 2 layers of height +0-.02mm

Onshape is a fairly easy free CAD program to learn the basics, this will allow you to make custom models to test these settings if you don't already know how to use a CAD program.
    Hope that helps!