Close

How many here are DIY'er as opposed to Buyers?

This is something I have been wondering, so I decided to ask

How many of you guys have made your own 3D printer, rather than bought it? It seems like there are really two communities online. Those that buy 3D printers in order to make stuff, and those that spend a lot of time building their own, and perfecting them, only to make a new one later. Which category do you fall into?

I'm a buyer

I must admit I'm a buyer too. I've tried the DIY'er thing for a while but I just didn't have the patients to follow through. I wish I could get around to learning a bit more about building 3d printers but I just am too inpatient and too much of a procrastinator.

Well i bought it, but it was a DIY kit so i aint sure where you would place me :P
    Makerfarm.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginationProgress View Post
    How many of you guys have made your own 3D printer, rather than bought it?
    You didn't ask... But this gal bought and built a Prusa i3 kit....
    Last edited by Roxy; 07-03-2014 at 05:02 PM.

We have 7 printers in the farm presently. 4 were built by us and the others are commercial units. Actually our Replicator was highly modified and rebuilt by us so that is mostly built now too?

I think there are 4 communities that visit and use this board.
    1. Interested in the technology, may send designs to a print agency such as Shapeways.
    2. Bought a pre-built printer and have no desire to get into the nuts, bolts, gears and electronics of it all or use a printer owned by their employer and want to improve the output.
    3. Bought a kit or a pre-built but are obsessed with how it all works, improving the printer's capabilities and their own skills and knowledge. (Me)
    4. Hard-core built a printer from scratch or are building a printer out of parts from multiple vendors.