Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsoy View Post
    I can't share original files, but the above folder has the files I've created (numbered in order of creation). I was given a mesh, which I converted to STL, which was then used to create everything else.
    What above folder?

Does your solution resolve the creation of non-manifold surfaces and related non-printable characteristics of the original?

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMatt View Post
    I used FreeCAD to convert your STL into a 100+MB STEP file and was able to have Solidworks begrudgingly open it. Also uploaded it into an Onshape document. Here's a link:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a1...38566c743839bf

You may be able to pare it down more easily in Onshape since their cloud servers are handling the heavy computational lifting. I don't have time to mess around with it too much, but it's there if you want to take a crack at it.

Here's the workflow I used to convert the STL to a STEP in FreeCAD:

https://all3dp.com/2/stl-to-step-how...files-to-step/

As with Arsoy's post and my question, how does this resolve the non-manifold surface problem and other non-printable features of the original file? The model is loaded with individual components that do not properly join adjacent surfaces, some of them "floating" in space not touching others.

The real problem is with the original creation not having been correctly done for 3D printing. Converting it doesn't solve it, only correction by the original creator is likely to make it printable.

According to my experience, maybe it is impossible to do that on this model.
    For some simple models, it is ok to convert from mesh to solid ;
    For complex models, it is too hard to do that.Even though you can do that,many details will be lost.
    The best way is to recreate the 3d models,but it needs a lot of time.
    And another way is to modify the STL file directly,of course the final file will be STL format too-but usually this is the only way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12