Close

3D Printing catching on with Older Generations?

Do you guys find that 3D printing has been catching on with older generations moreso than computers did 20-25 years ago? I've found that my parents and even my grandfather have been finding 3D printing to be interesting. My father (65 years old) just bought a printer himself. Do you guys know any one that is old that is really into 3d printing?

Depends what you classify as old. :-) I'm 57 and just built a MakerFarm i3v. But, I also built my first computer back in the day.

It was a top-of-the-line 8088 with a screaming 8mhz intel processor with that ultra cool 8087 math co-processor. 640K (not even 1 meg) of RAM and a HUGE 20 meg hard drive.
    Nothing faster at the time for a desktop. Yes, I used DOS, UNIX and scoffed at Windows 3.0 users.

So perhaps the "older" adopter's were techie oriented.

Rick

Senior Engineer
    OMG, I'm an older generation!!!!!

I think if you looked at the ages of the people who have taken 3d printing into the viable arena you will find it was the "older generation" that did it and the "younger generation" are now picking it up, not the other way round.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    I'm nearly 40 so I'm in the middle somewhere... I actually find older generations are fascinated by it more than younger ones.

Technician
    Old timers seem ok with the snails pace of extrusion. Its too slow for the selfie generation.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I'm nearly 40 so I'm in the middle somewhere... I actually find older generations are fascinated by it more than younger ones.
    You wish, one manages to persuade oneself for several years but in truth it's all over by 30, you're well and truly up here with us oldies.

I personally don't see any older people getting into 3D printing, but that might just be where I live where there isn't all that much technology.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    You wish, one manages to persuade oneself for several years but in truth it's all over by 30, you're well and truly up here with us oldies.
    Haven't got a a grey hair yet and still get asked for ID