Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite 3D design software

I'm looking more and more seriously into 3D printing and right now I'm trying to get a good grasp on everything. So I'm asking the basic question, what 3D design software do you use and enjoy using the most and why (when you are intending to design and print something)?
    Last edited by KooK; 05-27-2014 at 10:37 AM.

I really loved my CATIA student license. My brother says it's like killing an ant with an atomic bomb...
    It is an amazing engineering tool but don't try to use it for artsy stuff. The introduction of Imagine and Shape is a big step towards that but it's still a bit unwieldy.

I always figure go big. Learn Blender, free and tons of resources to learn. And extremely powerful. I personally use Softimage XSI, but that will be discontinued in 2015. So the switch to something just as powerful is in the future.

Student
    I really like Cubify Invent. It's $49 and it has never let me down. I have printed a couple of hundred objects all designed using the software and it just does a great job. The Cubify tutorials are OK but check CubifyFans blog for some really great ones. Russ

You mind showing a few images of the models you made?

I'm curious.

Staff Engineer
    For the scan-based organic sculptures I make, there's nothing better than Geomagic Freeform software, paired with the TouchX haptic arm device which lets me feel what I'm doing as I sculpt "virtual clay". This is a professional-level system, but 3DS plans to offer a consumer-level version soon: http://www.3ders.org/articles/201401...hotobooth.html

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    PC - Blender, Zbrush or Modo
    Ipad - Sculpt123d
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Engineer-in-Training
    Sketchup can't be beat for ease of learning; just add the plugin for exporting stl's and you are done.

Zbrush all the way!

Google Sketchup and CAD are what I often use in 3D designing. But I have my latest addition, it’s Kinematics. This software is just perfect for creating intricate details and geometric figures. This is what we’re currently using in designing fancy and custom made jewelleries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast