Close

Help creating this 3d printed swivel device

I am unsure how the 360° swivel in this device works. At first I thought it was just a ball in socket joint that snaps into place, but it this device is meant to support any weight, this doesn't seem practical. If you look closely at the image, you'll see some sort of cap next to the swivel. I believe this is just a cover allowing a pin of some sort to be placed through the device connecting the two pieces. I'm wanting the swivel to be able to do a full 360° rotation without unscrewing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is a link to the picture.https://imgur.com/K0bgKQf
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I'd just use a ball and socket

This hook has to support a good amount of weight and im concerned a ball in socket joint wouldn't hold if it just snaps in place. I'm actually wanting to make it with metal, but would like a 3d print first. Do you have any ideas? The metal wouldn't allow for any flex so I don't know if a ball in socket joint would work.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    depends where you put the entry point.
    If you slot the ball in sideways, rather than from the bottom, then the vertical pull is as strong as the plastic.
    I would also use flexible pla - It's actually fairly stiff if printed solid and damn near indestructible. Design it right and you could probably hang a person off one.