Close

Please help me with my custom made 3D printer!

Hello!

I am currently in the design process of making my own 3D printer.
    The issues I struggle with are that everyone else building a 3D printer already own one, and therefore prints all the nessesary parts for the new one.
    My printerbot simple metal just broke so I dont have a printer at hand.

I work as a woodworker and have acces to proffesional equipment and I trust my skill in woodworking so I dont belive that will be a problem.

What I AM struggeling with is the heated beds. If I would buy a 300x300 mm heated bed, would that give me a build volume of 300x300? Or would it be just short of that?
    I'm going with a 24v psu so hopefully the heating will be enough.

Also, what controll board do you guys recomend? I dont want it to be noisy and I would appreciate if its a simple board since this is my first build. Oh and I want 32 bit board aswell.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    as long as your frame allows for enough movement then you should be able to print on the whole bed.

You don't actually normally buy a heated bed. You buy a heating pad of some description.
    I like the silicon heatpads.
    That is then applied to (usually) an aluminium bed (3-6mm thick) which is usually slightly larger than the heat pad. Borosilicate Glass is also often used these days as well.
    But a good heatpad will easily heat a bed larger than itself.

Thanks! I just assumed they had to be the same size.
    Would this layer setup work? From bottom to top - 3mm cork, heating pad, 4mm aluminum, borosilicate glass.
    I read somwere that printing directly on aluminum is not optimal. Bed warping and print not sticking.
    And glass act as a pretty bad heatsink.
    Would both work better?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    don't bother with the aluminium just stick the heatpad to the glass.

Though to be honest a cheap sheet of pei on aluminium is a better option.