Close

Anyone using MakerGear M2 with V3b hotend?

I'm new to the forum and the M2 will be my first 3D printer so I'm hoping some of you veterans could give some tips on the M2, its scheduled to ship next week.

- I've read that with a heated bed you shouldn't need to use tape with PLA filament, is that correct? How about glue, hairspray, etc., I've read many conflicting views but maybe somebody who specifically owns the M2 could describe their experience?

- When printing a large flat object should I use the raft or ok without it? I've read its not needed with PLA?

- I guess this is probably more of a CAD or slicer question. If I have a model, for example that has a bore hole for a screw to go through. Is there anyway to have the printer reinforce the wall just around those bore holes? I'll be using Simplify3d. I know you can have separate profiles for different levels of the model, but is there a way to specify just certain features like the bore hole for reinforcement?

I have lots more questions, but these are a good start I guess for a noob.

Thanks!

Engineer
    Hi, i have been an m2 owner for almost a year now. Great machine. With pla on the glass bed you dont have to use any adhesives. The glass however need to be absolutely perfectly clean. One fingerprint and your part can release from that area. Adding hairspray to the glass makes it a little more fool proof. Some are using a glue stick as well. There are many different methods. The larger the model the more it will want to warp on you. Some people use blue tape as well. I use hairspray since it just works with everything, pla, pet, abs, etc. to beef up the wall around a hole you really need to simply increase the perimeter layers. With s3d You can set multiple processes to try and contain that to a certain area of the model if you want to.

Thanks jimc for making it clear about the PLA and the glass bed, I'll make sure and keep it clean and hopefully won't have to use the adhesives in most cases.

I read somewhere that denatured alcohol is good for cleaning the glass? What do you use?

Engineer
    yes alcohol works well. i dont print in pla and i got rid of the glass totally. i use a 1/4" glass beaded mic6 aluminum plate coated with hairspray. the heat is alot more even which is needed for abs since i mostly print with that and pet. have you been to the makergear forum? they had the google group but no one really goes there anymore now that the forum is open.

http://forum.makergear.com