Close

Hello. Im looking for advice to buy my first 3d printer.

Hello

I apologise if this is not correct subforum for this, but i scanned the various places and couldnt find a better one to post it.

With the Black Friday discounts coming soon, i wanted to do some research so as to treat myself to a 3d printer. I've had a chance to play a little with my friend's Ender 3 Pro, but i want to buy one for myself. I wanted to ask people's advice on which model(s) i should be looking out for during Black Friday.

The following are things im looking for, in terms of importance:

1. Ease of use/maintenance. I am new at this, so for my first printer im definetely looking for something that's easy to setup and handle. So easy to level bed, easy to set up settings, quick and easy to start printing properly etc.
    2. In terms of physical size, i would prefer it to be similar to Ender 3 Pro's size. This is because i want to make sure it fits in my available space
    3. Assuming above criteria are met, i would prefer some nice detail to be available. My "Main printed" things will be Wargaming terrain (buildings, bunkers, scifi stuff, etc), various character figures (think funkopops size), geeky stuff etc. If you are familiar with Warhammer, then basically i will mostly be printing stuff of roughly Dreadnaught scale, not spacemarine scale.
    4. My budget is under £1000. Oh and im based in UK, so it needs to be available in UK.

Using the above, can you please recommend me any models to look out for? As you can see, im rather new to this, so i would want to start with something that's simple to use. My friend says his Ender 3 Pro requires constant maintenance and breaks often, so id rather get something a bit more stable (if not as powerful) at first.

Thank you!

Look at the Prusa line of printers, they are well made and well supported.

Any specific model? Any quirks that i should know about?

Don't own one yet but they are one of the best for the money, made in Europe, well supported, and all quality units, let your budget and other previously mentioned specs and needs determine what models would fit you needs.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the new prusa mini would be my choice.
    Josef designed it to run his own print farm that makes all the part for his machines.
    well priced and about as plug and play as you get.
    Not the largest print volume, but some of the best build quality, fgestures and electronics on the market - and under $400.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-13-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    for miniatures you should really consider a resin printer.Take a look at this guys youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbv...XovPdahRyoCFhA

printer he uses is only $240USD You could buy 4 of them and still be in your budget.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yep for small detailed items a cheap resin printer is worth a look. Lots around - some for under $200

Just bear in mind the post processing, smell and risk of getting resin on stuff.

Student
    Follow Sculptoris Innovation On Twitter Add Sculptoris Innovation on Facebook
    Great,

You should go with best technology based 3d Printer, do not see price of those but check performance, usability, requirements, reviews of old buyers etc.