Close

Printer Identification and help - Genius IE MKII / Sky-Maker A2/R2

So I picked up a pair of printers and I am having trouble figuring out what they actually are. They don't work and I'm trying to get them running.

The printer brand or re-brand(?) is Genius Inspirata Evolorum (IE) and the model is the MK2. This company is or was a Canadian company based in Hamilton, ON. The phone number and website no longer work so I assume the company is no longer. I also got a 3rd printer with a single extruder and a larger bed but its missing a screen lol.

here is the only link to the product i could find:
    https://www.ecwid.com/store/geniusie/Genius-IE-Mark-II-3D-Printer-Dual-Extruder-p61391615

Here are some specs:

Product DetailsBrand: Genius IE / Sky-Tech

Equipment Type: FFF / FDM

Learning Level: Beginner to Intermediate

Max Build Size: 230 x 200 x 150 mmMax Resolution: 50 microns

Lead Time: 2 to 4 weeks

MKII - Double ExtruderResolution:
    Low: 0.4mm /
    High: 0.1mm XY 0.011mm / Z 0.0025mm 1.75mm

Nozzle Profile:0.4mm Brass

Software:Windows Vista, 7 & 8 / Apple OSX

UL, CE, RoHS, ETL/CSA

Box Profile:470 x 470 x 380 mm / 15KG

Electrical Profile:24V DC @ 6.25A

The printers turn on and one boots to a menu the other just has blocks on the screen. so the motherboard is a sky-tech with an ATMEGA1280 chip. I have an SKR V1.3 as well which might be a good fit for this printer.

I looked at the sky-tech website and found that it looks identical to the Sky-Maker A2 or maybe the R2 I cant seem to find the difference between them. the stepper driver chips have A4982SLPT on them. I also have other drivers but this is what they came with. it looks like it has E3D V6 hot ends or clones with thermocouples.

the printer now has Replicator v7.5 on it and I'm not sure why. I am guessing this is why the steppers don't work.

I'm not sure if i should use marlin or try to find the sky-tech/sky-maker firmware?

Anyone know anything about these printers or have any advice or suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Reefsider416; 11-05-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well it looks like a classic replicator clone. with a wider bed. Because of the odd bed size I'd say it's probably not a rebadge. But acustom machine made by or for GIE.
    Is the firmware replicator or repetier ? (never heard of replicator as a firmware)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well it looks like a classic replicator clone. with a wider bed. Because of the odd bed size I'd say it's probably not a rebadge. But acustom machine made by or for GIE.
    Is the firmware replicator or repetier ? (never heard of replicator as a firmware)
    When I turn on the printer it says: The Replicator ----------- firmware version 7.5. Also when i look in some of the menus it refers to a "glowing M" button that I believe is on the makerbot machines. i think that was installed by the last owner and not what they came with but I'm not sure.

I have done a bit more research and it seems to be a Sky-Tech/Sky-Maker machine made by Taiwan Electronics Co. Seems to be the R2 or maybe A2 model. I found the instruction manual for it online. http://www.sky-tech.com.tw/sky-tech/...8ax-series.pdf

However, this company also seems to have gone out of business around 2014-2015. All the press releases end in 2015 and the links to videos and affiliated websites are all dead links. Maybe that is why Genius, founded in 2014, stopped being a company as well but who knows.
    Attached Images Attached Images