Close

PETG dry vs ‘wet’

So I have been fighting with printing PETG on my FFCP for about 4 months... finally think I’m on to something. Fresh out of the vacuum sealed package from matterhackers is on the bottom... about 25% thru I swapped to an old roll of matterhackers PETG that I had oven baked at 175F for 4 hours. I’m using a Micro Swiss .5mm plated nozzle, flashprint set to .3mm layer height, 240C nozzle, 50C bed (factory aluminum one with buildtak) 60mm/s print speed, 2.0mm retract at 80mm/s, fan off (if I turn it on, even at set height, the nozzle temp drops below threshold) .45mm path width, 125% extrusion ratio
    Figured I should share my settings I’ve saved for using PETG and .5mm nozzle, with flashprint. Was one thing I wished someone else had done for me as a noob. Anyway, here’s the pics. Part is a simple solid wedge, 4” base, 2” height, 3” wide. The print still isn’t perfect, even with the ‘dried’ filament, but it is getting much better. I think I will dry it a few more hours and try another with drier filament from start to finish, but I think I’m on the right track.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    best way to test petg is to print something long and thin and then try and break it. get the settings right and it's really hard, wrong and it'll just fall apart.

Yeah I still can't break this on the bottom, I did some stuff with the same old filament after it had sat out for a few weeks (several days of which were raining) and it was useless. Could crumble the 'part' with my fingers.