Close

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook

Just For Trakyan

Today at work I was installing an Edlebrock Pro Flo 4 XT fuel system in a GMC pickup when I came across this in the instructions. Simple knowledge for me but it is so utterly important I share this here. So everybody knows good advice from bad advice instead of just whose word to trust..I would just like to point out that the fan controllers are ground circuits that are on or off and don't PWM. But the size of the larger coil in the solenoids just takes so much more to charge and generates so much heavier of a collapsing field than anything a computer circuit can control. And that is why a HD relay or solenoid is NEVER driven directly by an ecu circuit. A relay that draws under 1a max is the limit for a computer circuit. Typically.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    So we could all easily imagine and understand how a damaged driver on a control board connected to a heavy duty solenoid connected to a heater might just keep that solenoid latched and keep sending constant full voltage to a heater until an entire home is reduced to ash. And the deciding factor would be a gamble between whether the driver went open or short as it took its damage. We must be responsible in our posting, building, and playing here. Knowledge is power. And Safety First!
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 10-16-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Today at work I was installing a FAST fuel system in a Corvette and would very much like for it to be controlling timing. FAST as with most aftermarket EFI controllers will not directly drive a coil and so if we want the aftermarket EFI to control timing this generally means a CD box like the MSD 6a or 6al or equivalent. With this style setup the pickup coil from the distributor will be wired to the crank trigger input of the FAST controller and the points output of the fast controller will go to the points input of the CD box. This is the absolute largest possible footprint for a coil driver. lol. I believe I have found a way to use the coil driver in the GM HEI distributor. The 4 pin ignition module. Which is a small coil driver. Here is my idea on paper..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    This is the end result of my modifications. Everybody else will run an MSD box. But for this application the controller will communicate directly now with this distributor.. HEI is an acronym for High Energy Ignition, btw.