Close

Banned

NPN NO Capacitive Proximity sensor not working unless touched

Hello all,

I have recently installed below NPN NO Proximity for auto bed leveling, however, I noticed it doesn't detect anything unless I touch the little orange part at the bottom of it (video attached). Any idea why is it acting this way and how to fix this??

P.s.
    When I touch it, it works normal, I.e. if I lift z axis light switches off, and if I lower it, light turns on, ofcourse as long as I'm touching it.

Using:
    Ramps1.4+Arduino Mega 2560 v3
    Marlin firmware

Video of problem
    https://youtu.be/xOAbFPqjPtw

Sensor
    https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/303252795508

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Hello;
    It appears that the capacitive Proximity sensor is working maybe you need more material to detect. Can you try add some Aluminum Foil or Aluminum Foil Duct tape.

Banned
    Hi Robert, and thanks for the reply, as you can see in the video, I already have alu tape, and it works just fine while touching the sensor.

Also..... I tried lifting z, holding a blade underneath the sensor and slowly moving it towards the sensor, it detects it when I'm holding it with my hand, but if I hold it with a plier, it doesn't detect it AT ALL, even after it touches the sensor. So it's definitely a static elec. Thing

Then lets ask some questions

1. Post your wiring diagram
    2. What voltage are you using. // On my 6-30 volt proximity sensor I am using 5V without any added circuit.

Banned
    Hello Robert

I'm using 12v directly from the power source (12v 20A) to power it, the output wire is connected to the input of ams1117 regulator, and the output of the regulator goes directly to Z-MIN Signal Pin, with the GND of the regulator connected to GND of RAMPS (Z-MIN GND).

my problem is not in the output, I believe it is with the power source, if you're using 5v to power your 6-30v sensor without problems, I guess i can try that too, you're sure it won't affect my sensor if i power it with 5v ??
    Attached Images Attached Images

When I purchased my 3DP12 it came with a SN04-N Proximity Sensor it was connected to 5 volts.
    I have switched to a Omron TL-W3MC2 6-30 volt Proximity Sensor had no problems during my 3 years using it on a 5 volt supply.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 10-12-2019 at 07:48 AM.