Close

Ender3 extrudng stepper stops after 4 minutes.

Greeting I am new top this forum but about 6 years 3dprinting.
    I have owned an Ender3 for a year now with much success and joy. I stepped away from my Solidoodle3.
    I recent upgraded to a new 1.1.5 motherboard from creatality and am having a print prob.
    Each and every time I print about the 15th or so layers, about 3-4 minutes the extrusion stepper stops extruding.
    The machine continues to work but no filament is oozing. Iv tried of course cleaning the nozzle, but its not clogged.
    Ive opened the main box and all wires seem fine, I connect and reconnect, not the problem. The filament simply stops flowing.
    Im starting to think I have a bad board. The original 1.1.3 board is bad, I think I burnt it out due to a short at the heater core wiring.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    I bought the 1.1.5 on Amazon so I can have it replaced fairly quickly.

vdesigner99

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    After 3-4 minutes when the extruder stops put your finger on the extruder's stepper motor and see how hot it is. You might have the pot on the stepper driver turned up a bit too much and be allowing too much current flow to the stepper. Some people like using math to come up with a setting for that pot. But sadly nobody's math counts for the gauge or length of wires used or things like voltage drop. And so the best way to fine tune this adjustment is to measure the stepper motor temp after 1hr of printing. After this time you should be able to keep your finger(s) on the stepper motor. It should be warm to the touch. 110f-120f is a good and proper temp for the stepper motors to be at with current flowing through them. If there is not enough current then the stepper will be cold to the touch after 1hr of printing and you need to turn the pot up on the stepper driver for that motor by .1v. If the stepper motor gets so hot that you can not hold your finger on the stepper motor then you are letting too much current flow and risk shorting a coil within the stepper motor. For hot stepper motors you will want to turn the voltage down .1v and retest. It sounds like your pot is set too high for the extruder stepper motor. This is a likely place to land if you have a pancake stepper motor on your extruder and have never adjusted the pot since you installed the driver/mainboard. If the stepper motor isn't getting too hot and it still fails so consistently 4 mins after the print starts then you might want to try replacing that stepper driver.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    With a mainboard change the above process should be repeated for all stepper motors and drivers on your printer and also the heaters (bed & extruder) need to be PID autotuned. And then steps/mm should be verified for all 3 axes and also for the extruder. It is after all a new controller. It knows nothing of your specific machine. Its age, modifications, or level of wear.

Thank you AutoWiz, I will follow your suggestions.
    I found a youtube video that describes my problem. It states that I need to flash the firmware on my main board. It has a boot loader pre-installed so I assume I can do this.
    This is supposed to be the latest board so not sure why I have to do this.
    O well another thing I have to learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8vdEDn59ZA

vdesigner99