Close

What economical 3D process prints closest to production quality

I'm looking to do a first run of a product and I want to use 3D printing. What process SLA, SLS or MJF will make it look like a finished product? I'm looking for a glossy look. I also need something that won't cost too much.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add jamcultur on Thingiverse
    All of the processes you mentioned are capable of producing highly detailed and finished-looking pieces. I wouldn't call any of them economical, compared to FDM. MSLA is another option that may be slightly more economical. It's hard to make a recommendation since you haven't mentioned the size or strength the pieces need to have.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi you don't mention FDM is this because the as printed surface is poor, if so it can be post processed to get it smooth(ish). It would be useful also to know what you want to make and it's size. We use FDM for small scale production and prototypes and to give you some idea of costs we make a pressure vessel top 8 sided 52 x 52 x 26 mm this takes 23 grams of ABS-X to make ABS-X costs in UK about 2.3p/gram though some materials cost as little as 1.5p/gram while nylon 230 can cost 5p/gram. Machine time depends on your machine but the simple ender 3pros we use we charge at 30p/hour (in house) the top mentioned takes 2hr 30min to print.

I hope this gives you some idea,

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    resin.
    Is the only economical print method that can be called economical and looks as good as injection moulded.

A resin printer can be had for about $200 and the resin has come down in price recently.

But yep - glossy - yes
    production quality - yes.
    Economical - yes.

Of course it does all depend what YOU consider economical.
    If you reckon $100,000 is a good buy - then, well we've got a few more options.

If you think $1000 is an awful lot of money - then you're left with resin :-)

And then again it depends what YOU consider to be production quality.
    It it purely on the outer finish, or is it mainly structural.

If you go resin - make sure you have your own room.
    It can be messy, it smells bad and the resin is pretty toxic.

If you go FDM - you can pretty much stick it anywhere :-)