Close

Thread: Newbie question

Student

Newbie question

Hi All,

I am a new member here and have joined to learn and ask for some advice.

I am completely new to 3d printing, modelling, software etc. I have had Fusion 360 for about 8 days and I've been doing as much reading as I can and following along with tutorials that I can find. I'm purely using the software to design homeware products as a hobby. I'm am loosely familiar with the loft tool, revolve, sculpt mode and so on.

I have been searching the internet like a crazy person to try and learn how to recreate patterns on a vase along the lines of the pictures below, but I'm lost amongst the horde of information and would really appreciate some guidance on how people achieve such designs using their software. At this point, no information or tutorial is too basic as I am looking to increase my skills so I can go on to create interesting designs myself.

Many thanks

Vase Pattern.jpg Vase Mix.jpg

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    your best bet is to look at similiar vases on thingiverse and ask the people who design them how they do it.
    They'll usually tell you :-)

Keep in mind a surface like that with all those over hangs, is not going to be easy to print cleanly without a dual extruder and dissolvable supports..

Student
    Many thanks for your input both. I will give that a try and bear in mind the printing success with the designs also.

You could try this https://potterdraw.sourceforge.io/
    I think a lot of them are made with this