Close

ABS Layer Quality and Adhesion

Hey,I have a Fusion3 410.

It has worked perfectly for a few hundred hours of printing...but all of the sudden:

The filament doesn't seem to stick to the glass during the print (first layer). As the head travels on the first layer the filament does not stick to the glass, and/or the nozzle catches it on it's next pass and makes a mess. The first layer ends up being all screwed up and eventually the nozzle gets caught up in the print material and pulls it off the glass completely.

I am using Simplify3D to slice.

Here is what I have done:
    1. At first I used standard default print settings for 0.4mm head.
    2. I slowed it down to 1/2 X/Y print speed-Still made a mess
    3. Re-leveled bed-Still a mess
    4. Cleaned bed, jogged nozzle.-Still a mess
    5. Switched to 0.8mm head, default settings-Still a mess
    6. Re-leveled bed.-Still a mess
    7. Slowed down print speed to 1/2 default speed (50mm/s I think)-Printed pretty good
    8. Went back to a 0.4mm nozzle @ 50mm/s. Still a mess.
    9. Cleaned bed, re-leveled-still a mess.Admittedly

I'm a bit of a noob, but it has been going pretty well until now. Any ideas out there?

ABS need the bed temp to be 110C nozzle temp 235C. The nozzle must be the "proper" height above the bed for the layer thickness you are printing. If it is to high the filament will not stick. If it is too close the filament may not stick. first layer speed is too fast it may not stick, if the bed surface is not clean it may not stick. ABS also need a heated enclosure or the part may split or come loss during the print. Those are the main reasons filament of any type won't stick.
    Part size dictates speed.. small parts = slow. I would print anything under 5x5 cm at 35-45 mm S first layer %50 of that
    S3d ABS settings for a part I printed last week.
    http://misc.airscapesart.com/duct1.factory

Engineer-in-Training
    It REALLY sounds like you have a leveling issue--like it's air printing the first layer. How are you leveling? if you're using the paper method, try leveling it so the paper is difficult (but possible) to move under the nozzle.

What are you using to promote adhesion? plain glass isn't enough in my experience. I use hairspray, which helps immensely--in fact it's a little too good.

Quote Originally Posted by djprinter View Post
    It REALLY sounds like you have a leveling issue--like it's air printing the first layer. How are you leveling? if you're using the paper method, try leveling it so the paper is difficult (but possible) to move under the nozzle.

What are you using to promote adhesion? plain glass isn't enough in my experience. I use hairspray, which helps immensely--in fact it's a little too good.
    I have been using the "auto level" option. I am using purple gluestick for adhesion (suggested by fusion). I will do a manual leveling and report.

Thanks for the feedback.

I replaced the foil tape at the corners of the plate. Scrubbed the plate and releveled it. That seems to have done the trick.