Close

Student

Angry Flashforge Adventurer 3 PLA issues

Hi All,

I got my printer new with the Translucent Red 300g roll and I bought an additional 600g Translucent Red and an additional 600g Green PLA genuine product roll.

I have basically printed the 900g of Red without issues and tried to change to the green.

My problem is the green skips horribly and convinced it was a bad PLA batch so I bought Blue.

I printed at 190 deg and it skipped, I then wondered if it was the temperature so I took it up to 230 deg. I know this is too hot but there is no other explanation as to why this printer only likes the red at 220 deg.

I had a long print at 12 hours and it printed the first hour ok then skipped a little then was ok then ran for more hours then skipped again etc, overnight the print has obvious signs of no pla extrusion and audible skips still happening.

The feeder gripper cog is not full of pla and slipping, the feeder when I push the pla still skips and when it isnt skipping if I put slight tension in resistance to feed on the feeding pla it skips easily.

I dont have any red pla at the moment but I am confident if I refit the red it will print 600g without a single skip.

Does anyone know why the other colours are crap?

It cant be the print nozzle, it cant be the feed wheel cog blocked, it might be the extruder temp not correct, but I cant be the only one with these issues. I love the red PLA but would like to be able to print in other colours.

I use the stock slicer that is the flashforge software and always set the temp to 220 on red.

My theory was the extruder is too cold to flow the blue at 60mm/min which is what red prints at.

I will reduce the speed to 50mm/min and see if that still skips on blue.

The store I bought the printer from also had the same problems as they run the printers in store and said they could not print well on green either, but they had some nice blue prints.

Is there a firmware upgrade I need, or some more indepth setting changes for the colour of PLA I am printing with or what is the solution because this is super frustrating.

Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Slash.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the flashforge red is just an amazing filament - one of the best I've ever used. used a LOT of it over the last 2-3 years.

It is amazing just how varied the printing is between different brands and colours of filament.
    The flashforge red works best - for me - at 210c and I can run a 0.4mm layer at 150mm/s on my delta with it.
    Never tried their green, but sometimes you just have to print slower or hotter, or both.

In my experience the colours that print best (from any supplier) are: white, black, red, blue (but slower) and silver/grey. The absolute worst is yellow - and the manufacturers I've talked to say yellow is a real bugger to make as well.

The problem is that there - to my knowlege - are no regulations governing the manufacture or ingredients of printer filament.

Basically - nothing wrong with your printer.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-18-2019 at 05:55 AM.

Student
    Thanks for the reply. The more I thought about it the more I wondered if it was the slicer slicing bad areas into my models. I noticed that whilst printing a square turret for a dice tower castle style that whenever it got to the back right corner it skipped.

So I thought I would reprint the benchy as that was flawless and is a great 3d model to start with. That printed in blue no issues. So I printed a calibration cube 20mm square. That printed fine also.

The one thing I changed because I was wondering why it was skipping and that it could possibly be the retraction settings, mine were 25mm/m and 5mm so I read up about it and decided to lower that down to 3.

I was able to print a few things without skips in Blue.

Currently I only get 2 minutes difference in print time printing the Stool Sample stool from Thingverse. I am printing at 225 deg.

I think I can only use the slicer that Flashforge make as the printer does not understand the other files.

Also I just realised there is a Flashforge forum on here I didn't see before sorry about that.

Thanks for all your advice.

I really like REAL filament and have used many colours - the only one I can't get to print nice is the green. I think I used the roll just trying to get a print from it. Then I bought green paint ��

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    225c for pla is a bit too hot - try 210. retraction speed should really be faster, 50-60mm/s.

Flashprint is a very good slicer, way better than most. Certainly much better than cura :-)