Close

Threaded View

DIY Large Scale 3D Printer Build Log

Hello all. I am new to 3d printing (only used one maybe a dozen times) and do not own one, and would like to build my own. However, I have little knowledge on how they are designed. so using my limited knowledge designed one in PTC creo. (Design files below, stl and creo) and I am wondering if my design is a good one. i am plenty capable of building one, i just want to make sure i got the design "correct".

pic 1.jpg

The frame of my design consists of aluminum extrusion from the company 80/20, specifically from their 10 series extrusions. (I.e. 1”x1”). all the gray "plates" are 1/8" alluminum or steal. i will assemble the frame without brackets, only using bolts. (not pictured)
    ?
    pic 2.jpgpic 3.jpgpic 4.jpg

i want my 3d printer to be floor standing, so this frame design measures in at roughly 29 x 27 x 54inches, not including the planned leveling feet, which will add an extra 5-6inches in height. the print area measures in at 500mm x 500mm x 1000mm (the largest heated bed I could find), but of the 1000mm height only about 900mm is actually usable. the z-axis rails are 12mm supported rails, and driven by a nema 23 stepper motor, which for now is just floating. the z-axis rod is an 8mm acme rod measuring in at 1000mm, and supported by two bearing blocks. Should I invest in a ballscrew instead?

The frame of my design consists of aluminum extrusion from the company 80/20, specifically from their 10 series extrusions. (I.e. 1”x1”). all the gray "plates" are 1/8" alluminum or steel. i will assemble the frame without (limited) brackets (might print some when its done), only using bolts. (not pictured). for the frame and mechanism i dont want to use any 3d printed parts

this design uses a total of 9 (yes 9) stepper motors. 4 for the boden, 4 for the x/y, and 1 for the z.

pic 5.jpg

For the extruder I plan on using the kraken quad filament water-cooled extruder. Pictured are the four 1kg spools (green), and the gray guide plates to guide the filament to the four boden steppers.

I have two main questions. (1) What controller should I use? I’ve looked at the skr pro and the duet, but need something capable of controlling 9 steppers. (2) Being new to 3d printer design, does my design look correct? Are there any problems you see, or things I could improve whilst still in the design phase? any knowledge you've gathered from your own attempt?

before i put more detail i want to make sure the "bones" of the design are correct.

If anyone needs further clarification on my design or more pictures, feel free to ask!

Here is a link to my design files (both stl and creo assembly): it wont let me post a link sorry
    Last edited by super7800; 01-23-2020 at 01:58 PM.